The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought only 1 trap because i only want a couple for the season, but i have set it in three locations, the third trap a coon took my marshmellow, and then ran off while i was leaving, it was almost dark and unfortunatly my gun was still in my truck, is there a trick to seting the trigger, or how to bait them? I have a good spot now with tracks but i pulled the trap due to lack of bait and gas. so i plan to reset what should i do?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have frozen trout, but i dont want a possom. is it likely i would catch anything other than raccoon if I use meat? there are mostlikly cats in the area i deffinitly dont want of those either... I have been using marshmellow peices witha cotton ball with bait sent on it nearby. thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
PM me a picture of which Duke DP you have.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
i set mine right on the edge to make it easier to trigger
you can also mod the the trigger to make it a push or pull trigger if you want. its not to hard, also for a cheap bait
besides a fish base, you can get a can of cream corn and mash it up with bread to make a sweet corn mash.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Set it on the edge, i was thinking that cause ill got to set it off with a stick when i go and take it, you really gotta try, I wish i could post pics but i dont have a comp right now im wringting on my phone and cannot figure to upload, its the one were you pull up on the trigger, its a tube with a stake on the bottom, look like the ones you guys are catching tons on, i think i need to use bigger bait and set the trigger on the edge.

·
Registered
423 Posts
try putting the trigger through the marshmallow and your cotton ball with lure under the marshmallow and trigger. The coon will smell the lure and reach into the trap and feel the marshmallow but wont be able to pull it out without firing the trap.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good idea, and maby it will reach under the marshmello trying to pull it up than bam! ha im deffinitly doing that, i have been putting the cotton on a nearby stick maby a foot off the ground, is that correct or should i put cotton in the trap, man im using caverns pred bait from wisconson or somwhere it smells soooo bad, first day i got it i just had to smell it cause it was horrible i woke up with a terrible stomach ache! haha thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts