The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two creeks running through my property and wanna put out some coon sets. AND I just got a beagle a few weeks ago who would get caught in two minutes no matter where i hid it.. Sooo, I just unwrapped my duke dog proof trap.... the trigger seems VERY deep in the trap. I know coons will reach in but if i can't pull up on the trigger with my middle finger then i'd be surprised if a coon could grab it. Any thoughts on this? Or should i just have spent the extra couple bucks and gotten the lil griz getter?...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought some this year and love em. There easy to bait,set,and catch coon in. So far I've had no problems with getting coon in em. I just stick a marshmellow on the trigger, set it and squirt some fish oil in and around it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I have the coon cuffs and a lil griz...I have YET to catch anything in the Lil Griz but the Coon Cuffs work here and there...

When I first got them I thought it was sorta weird how the V that held the flap open and set needed to be Pushed backwards to set the trap off and I felt it would NEVER work and it was on the slugish side of working hard!

Till I used it...I put a mister twister on the V and then use marshmellows or peanut butter with sardines mixed with it or some type of fish oil and it works...Seems the mister twister keeps the coons working the trap more...Sometimes I have to reinsert the mister twister onto the V but most times it is still there where I put it on the V...And it Still has me amazed that those coons work those traps and push the V backwards and set the trap off!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Try nite latching the dog on these traps, its helps alot, once in the grove the dog cannot be pushed into the trigger more. I got 2 dz this year and mine have worked real well with mini marshmellows and jack mack.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've had very good success with them. Initially I thought the same about the depth of the trigger. Set them, and they will come lol. You'll be amazed. My largest coon (23lb) had both front legs buried dang near the elbows. I don't know how he got one paw in let alone two that deep. I may be wrong, but I don't see a need to night latch this type of trap. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
all I know is they are easy to set(dukes) and they are on my Christmas list! ooooohhh I hope I get some but the wife said I have to be a good boy! So that's not happening.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot guys. I'm gonna put it out tomorrow with marshmallows and some jack mack where i KNOW the coon have been coming through. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts