The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Dont cable them to a tree....
Stake them in the open away from anything within reach of the coon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mallard, you say don't do trees, but you don't say why. please elaborate, for my note to self.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Either works. Set on the sign. In a field or in trees / brush. Doesn't matter where other than on sign.

I have mine rigged with 4' of cable and a ring to attach a cable stake via a J-hook and swivel for setting in the open.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Eventually, you will loose some coon this way. Trust me, I lose a couple every year beacause of it! Some places i set there is no alternative. If the coon can get wrapped around something, at times he will get enough weight on the spring to let his foot slide out. It doesn't take much. Look at a coon's front foot, it's very slim and flat, and once he gets it muddy it doesn't take much to let him slip it out of there.
Also, check out those new Z traps. Same design, but with a push/pull trigger and powdercoated. I picked up some at states last year, they are probably the best out there. Really strong springs on them, too. Every bit as strong as griz and dukes, and maybe even a little stronger!

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I lost a few coon due to pullouts because I set them with cables to trees. They wrap it up then use their body as leverage to pull their paws out. A guy our west stakes them away from trees and caught 500 this year with no pullouts...I had 3 pullouts this year and caught 2 coon....50% catch ratio..and there was snow on the ground so I know it was a coon and I know nobody was messing w me.

I have no idea why these ones didnt pull out...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got 2 to figure out if I like them. Everywhere I read, everyone loves them. So I guess I'll pick up a few more. Where I'm going to be trapping at there isn't much of anything around the banks. So I'm just going to stake them down with rebar.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I cable them. I don't worry about entanglement. I loose 1-2%, I'll take that for the ease of cableing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
wow! nice picture . I'll take a triple like that,I could buy more traps, with a catch like that i would have coon fever.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i cable to trees also and have not had much of a problem..but i have since put 35lb shock springs on my traps where a coon could not make the spring not do its job...i lost 1 coon this year and YUP it was one of the ones i didnt have a spring on and it was wrapped up very bad...here is where i put the shock spring in the connection..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Coon duke, a tire draw station? nice pic.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Catching 5 and having three get out.....? Thats not 2% failure....I'll start staking mine.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I don't set for them much, just out of convenience if there's a good spot close to my k9 sets. I got 15 this year, with no pullouts and all of mine were just cabled to trees or roots. I have the ability to stake, just didn't do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts