The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania has changed the rules, retroactively, and if you were sentenced to a 2nd or subsequent offense DUI, because you had PLEAD OR BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF ANOTHER DUI, and the second or subsequent DUI happened before your were CONVICTED of the other DUI, you maybe entitled to be re-sentenced...

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

It means your two or five year tail on your sentence might be illegal! Your probation might be ended sooner, and if you were sentenced on an M-1 (Misdemeanor One DUI) you might even be able to get your gun rights back!!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
duckman76 said:
Lets give all the drunks guns back! That is a logical thing to do!
Easy to throw stones when you live in a glass house isnt it?
I have never been arrested for any crime at all but I surely wouldnt wish someone to lose their gun rights for a none violent crime or one that didnt involve a gun.

Just wondering if youve ever made a mistake in your life?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Agreed! I get tired of all the self righteous ......... on this board. Must be progressive Democrats. Love your avatar!

Thanks for posting Karl.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
duckman76 said:
Lets give all the drunks guns back! That is a logical thing to do!
When I was younger and dumber, I got a DUI, thank GOD I never killed anyone, since then I haven't had a drink, and I attend AA mettings. I guess by your "standards", I should never hunt or shoot again.

Grow up.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
FYI yes I have made a mistake and I paid the price for it! What he was saying is that mutiple offenders should get their guns back if the have been busted again before they go to trial for the first one. You can call it bad luck or a serious problem, I see it as a problem!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
The problem I see is that too many people are quick to toss people under the bus for their rights....now had the individuals been dui while shooting guns in the air...sure....take em..dont ever give them back.

but someone who has a drinking problem should lose their gun rights? Their drivers license...sure but what does one have to do with other?

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
There are all kinds of situations and all manner of excuses, some good and some outright stupid.

for instance, a woman here took cold medicine on top her pain meds, and her son needed to be picked up from work, She weaved cop pulled her over and she was busted for dui on drugs. Dui on drugs doesn't even require that they be illegal or prescription drugs. Some times there really are extenuating circumstances. Such as secretly spiking some one's soda, etc. (rare but happens) Accidentally taking the wrong pill, or forgetting you already took your morning meds and taking another can get you into a boat load of problems.

I have no problem with taking guns away from habitual drunks and other serious offenders. Sometimes, however, the guy loses his rights over a a BS charge, which arises more from wrong place and time than anything else. I was once at a public sale here in York County and some old veterinary equipment came up for sale, including the vets leather bag. Inside the bag were a few dozen vials of powder. One marked "cocaine" Now, should the old lady, (daughter of the long deceased vet) have beeen charged with possession, should the auctioneer have been charged with selling a controlled substance? Because of the really ancient syringes and needles should someone have been charged with possession of paraphenalia. You want to lose your right to firearm ownership because of something that has been in a trunk in the attic for 75 years?

·
Registered
25,596 Posts
Amen. Some states are now restricting all OTC medications that contain pseudoephedrine. That would be most common cold and flu remedies, BTW. It is an attempt to limit the amount anyone can buy, because of abuse in illegal meth labs, etc.

Read an account a few weeks ago, of a granny whose home was raided by the police because she'd picked up some flu meds for her hubby, then a day or two later, picked up some more for her daughter who was also sick.

Drug store reported the purchases as required by law, cops raided her home, took her away in cuffs.

Last I'd read, the DA said he was not making an exception in her case, "because she'd broken the law" on making too many purchases of products containing pseudoephedrines.

Here 'tis for the nonbelievers:

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_story_246225916.html

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I'm all for revoking a persons gun rights if they are a habitual drunk AND PRONE TO UNLAWFULLY WIELDING A GUN. But just being a habitual drunk, or even a casual drunk
doesn't warrant revoking a persons right to own a gun.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
>AND PRONE TO UNLAWFULLY WIELDING A GUN.

I would say someone prone to driving drunk is just as big of a threat to other members of society as someone prone to wielding a gun. A 5000 pound object traveling at 88 fps has alot more energy than any firearm you have ever shot.

Driving is not a requirement to drinking or getting drunk. With a little bit of planning you never have to drive drunk to drink.

People prone to drunk driving have SERIOUS judgement issues.
They are just as big a threat operating a vechicle or a firearm.

WV Gino

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Seems like every day there is a new reason to revoke someones rights. Just because someone can't help themselves from going for more smokes after they had a few beers more than once shouldn't be justification to taking away ones rights.

I know a person who had his rights revoked. This person was NEVER a danger to anyone with a firearm. A car yes. Now he can't go hunting, shooting, NOTHING. He doesn't even drink anymore.

Everybody makes some mistakes in there lives. EVERYBODY. To some people they get a life sentence from something that meant something to them. I know it was a choice they made, but sometimes it didn't seem that way at them time because they felt like they weren't hurting anybody.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I operate comercial vehicels for a living and what you guys are saying is that you would not have a problem if I got behind the wheel while hopped up on cold meds or perscription drugs? I would never put anyone in that type of sittuation nor would I go in the woods with a firearm while on any type of medication. If someone is a habitual offender then they obviously have no respect for anyone's safety and I do not want to be in the woods with them.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
WV Gino Home said:
>AND PRONE TO UNLAWFULLY WIELDING A GUN.

I would say someone prone to driving drunk is just as big of a threat to other members of society as someone prone to wielding a gun. A 5000 pound object traveling at 88 fps has alot more energy than any firearm you have ever shot.

Driving is not a requirement to drinking or getting drunk. With a little bit of planning you never have to drive drunk to drink.

People prone to drunk driving have SERIOUS judgement issues.
They are just as big a threat operating a vechicle or a firearm.

WV Gino

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Free society huh? Can't buy medications for your family or you go to jail? Free Society? Get reported for being .6 grams over the law limit. Free Society? This country is in the toilet. American citizens don't even realize that almost every other country in the world has more freedoms than we do. Free society? We are the one of THE most oppressed nations in this world, but the citizens are too ignorant and brainwashed by the government to realize that WE ARE NOT FREE.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Just because they made a bad mistake means they loose a right for life? The right had nothing to do with the mistakes that were made.

IMO many people don't think that much about having a few beers and driving home. Bad? Yes. But these same people have more of a respect for firearms. I KNOW!

It just sits wrong with me that a right can be taken for life. For a period of time? Sure, but life?

I'm sure many people on here either has had or has known some people that have had there problems in the past. It was in the past. Can't change it. Many of these same people now do good thing for many people and are good people themselves. Just made some mistakes like we all have.

Without getting personal there is one person that comes to mind that I would like nothing more than spending a day afield with. It just can't happen anymore, and this person has been reformed for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Re: DUI Law changes / some might get gun rights ba

What I think is wrong with linking second amendment rights with other violations is the precedent it sets.

Right now in many jurisdictions they take your second amendment rights for not only a DUI, but for ANY reported domestic violence reports, whether found guilty or not.

This is a major issue for gun owners. Angry spouses, girl friends, neighbors, relatives, all have made malicious reports to authorities claiming physical and verbal threats. Gun owners have already been in court trying to get their second amendment rights back because of claims of domestic violence.

We are all skating on thin ice when we allow the authorities to take away second amendment rights because of alleged acts or offenses that have nothing to do with firearms.

Here is one link to news in the area. Search the web there are many more...
second amendment and domestic violence charges

Best regards, Glenn

1 - 20 of 33 Posts