The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the first day of Buck season 1984! I was hunting right along Indiantown Gap Military Reservation on Dauphin County Second Mountain. Oh I must have walked in about 5 miles from Fishing Creek Road. I did some Scouting days before and I marked my trail with reflective markers. I get to my spot and there is a hunter in my stand. He Laugh and says: “HA HA Pretty Good Deer Stand Isn’t It!” I decided I would never use those markers again to find my stand in the dark. I didn’t say anything to the guy I just moved to another spot I checked out just in case of a situation like this..
I moved 100 yards over to the right of the person and posted where I would have been on the side of the Second Mountain… I usually would get a buck when the hunters below coming in from the old Blacksmith shop would push the deer right to me. Many times I wouldn’t get a buck until 12:00 Noon.
Anyway along comes a nice buck it’s only 30 yards from me. I put the Model 700 BDL 3006 up to my should and shot it right in the heart. it ran 3 yards and dropped. Within 1 minute this hunter comes running up the hill from below me and yells: “ I KILLED THAT BUCK!” “I SHOT HIM IN THE NECK!” I told him hey I shot him right through the heart. There was a big pool of blood on the ground and the leaves where also splattered with it where the deer was shot. By the way there was no shot before mine at all. None what so ever!!! I allowed him to look at the buck and there was not a bullet hole at all in the neck. There was a 30 Cal hole in the above the deer shoulder with blood oozing out of it big time. He kept insinuating that he killed. I said there is no shot in the neck.. He walks away and he shows up with 2 other guys.. My rifle was still loaded and in my hands… The guy that said he shot the deer said “do you want to use my knife to gut it?” I said “I have a knife.” He kept looking at my gun.. They started asking me questions. “Was I hunting there alone?” I lied: I said: I’M hunting with my brother and he is just 50 yards over there!” I was hunting with my brother but he was like 2 ½ miles away from me…He kept saying “He Killed that deer in the neck!” Again I said the only bullet hole is in the shoulder!” Since I had the rifle in my hand and my brother was close by but he wasn’t the three walked away really upset. I waited awhile since I did not want them to ambush me on the way back with the deer…. I was so deep in I got back to the vehicle by 3:00 PM. Along came a Deputy Warden I knew by the name of Smithy! He was with another deputy… I told him what happened to me and he was go find the guys. I told him no that was ok don’t pursue it. I did start to worry when the 3 showed up, wanted to know if I wanted to use his knife, and wanted to know if I was alone? If they would have pointed their guns at me I would have given them the deer of course. However when that knife would have come out that’s probably when the one would have stabbed me with it. I know having a gun in my hand yet saved my life and me telling a big fat LIE!!!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
1994 - the last day of doe season, I was hunting on our camp property, above Anita PA. Came across 3 guys that were walking out of our woods. I spoke briefly with them. They said that they were leaving, they saw nothing all day.
I bid them farewell.
When I got down to the camp, my brother informed me that I needed to go back up on the hill. My dad and Uncle - that owned the land, were putting on a drive.
When I got back up to my stand, a lone doe walked down the road, limping. As it got near, I placed a shot with my 30-06 Springfield rifle, with 3 x 9 x 40 scope, at a distance of 100 feet away. The doe hunkered down and bolted down into the mountain laurel about 40 yards. Then I heard a bang. I walked down to where the doe lay, and there stood the 3 hunters. The doe had 2 holes in it. The hole in the front leg, which it had before it came to me, and the hole in the chest, that I shot. I showed them the blood and the hair. The three men held a gun on me and took the deer off of me. They were gutting it as I walked up to them - 3 minutes after I shot it. After all, how long does it take to get out of a tree stand 10' off the ground and walk 40 yards - after you shot a deer and heard another bang?
My dad and Uncle walked up and asked what was going on.
When I told them my story, my dad said " let them have the deer, there is plenty of deer in the woods!"
I had just lost my job and my daughter was only 2 1/2 months old. It was 4 PM, on the last day of doe season, and I didn't get a deer.
Ironically, the guy that took the deer off of me was notorious for taking deer off of other hunters, that he did not shoot.
A few years ago I read his obituary, his last name was Rowles and he was famous for allegedly shooting, under fair chase conditions " The Airport Buck"..
The truth was that it was a game farm deer - tame, and that the land was heavily posted.
The moral of the story is that although he got his name in the record books for shooting the deer.
The harassment he got from fellow hunters for his nefarious deeds was enough that he committed suicide.
What comes around, goes around.

A few years later, the neighbors with the camp near our property put a nailed in tree stand on our property.
When we got there first, on the first day of deer season, they threatened to shoot my brother out of the tree.
The whole scenario unfolded over the two way radios.
My dad was mad at us for fighting with his friend - the other camp owner.
My Uncle got so upset, he sold the camp!

Moral of the story is - if someone points a rifle at you and threatens you, you have two choices, walk away or stand your ground. If you stand your ground, you better be prepared to shoot who ever is threatening you.
In 1994, there was no cell phone service at our camp, nor were there cell phones that you carried in your pocket - with a built in camera. If you wanted a cell phone, you had to buy a bag phone and have an antenna installed on your vehicle to use a cell phone in my area of the state..

Technology has changed in 22 years!
Now you can call the Game Warden, and the PA State Police.

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
Two years ago,my 9 year old son shot a half rack Y during the pouring rain on the first Saturday.Just as I was ready to start gutting it,this old outlaw who lived down the road came walking over claiming he hit that deer earlier in the day and wanted it.I said it's all yours Skippy.Just throw a tag on it and start dragging.He looked down,saw it wasn't AR legal and walked away calling me all shorts of names under his breath.I'm not arguing with anyone over any deer.That same year,my neighbor's daughter who was about 8 or 9 hit a small buck with a .223.We set up down in a creek bottom as they tracked it.As we were waiting,I said to my son,you know you're giving that deer to that little girl if you end up shooting it right?He said,yeah,I know.It amazed me that anyone would try to take a deer from a kid.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A friend of mine hunted in Massachusetts growing up and made regular trips to public land to fill his bag. One year, he shot a deer and completed his tag as required by law. He said that his way of attaching the tag to the carcass back then was to slide it into the deer's throat so that it wouldn't get ripped off while being dragged through the woods.

I forget what he said he had to go retrieve from his truck after he did this with this particular deer (maybe rope or something), but when he came back, his deer was gone. There was snow on the ground, so he quickly found tracks and the drag line from whoever took his deer and ran to see if he could catch whoever took it. Sure enough, he found a group of three high schoolers, about his age, pulling the carcass up the road on the other side of the draw.

When he confronted them, they did the usual "this is our deer" routine and claimed that he couldn't prove otherwise. Sure enough, he asked them where the tag was proving it was their deer. When they stood there for a second, he reached into the deer's throat and pulled out the tag with his name on it. The thieves simply let go of the carcass and walked off.

I gotta say, he's got stones. In this day and age, that could've ended significantly differently and a lot worse...but he got his deer back.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heard a recommendation that kids should do something like this if they are of age and can hunt a stand alone. .. Maybe put something somewhere on the deer in case you had to get the wardens or police involved to confront the culprits..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.