The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently invested a small amount of money into almost everything I need to do waterfowl taxidermy as a hobby to do birds for myself. I bought a good airbrush, paint, scalpels....just about everything one would need.

One thing I did not invest in is a flesher. I thought maybe some handheld wire brushes and a butter knife would suffice..I was wrong...I then put a drill in a vice with a fine wire wheel...using a hose clamp to adjust the speed..this kind of worked but I think that wire wheel is a bit to stiff and I do not want to cut into the skin.

At some point I will invest in a flesher and do it right but for now does anybody know where I can get "soft touch" wire wheel that would fit into a drill...the ones on the taxidermy supply websites seem to only fit the commercial fleshers.

I apologize in advance if I am looking for too much information. Again I am not looking to get into the business of taxidermy I would just like to mount ducks for myself, and I understand also that mounting ducks for other people would be a violation under federal law.

I got the Joe Kaiser instructional video...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check Matuska taxidermy supply. They sell a pretty reasonably priced unit. Not too big. Also in the mean time a good pair scissors will work. Plus a scrapper with a serrated edge. I have what basically is a oyster knife.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mr. Schloss, I will be meeting you in March to drop off some ducks for you to do. My brother emailed you about a week asking about some ducks we shot in Texas. I will personally be bringing a canvasback, pintail, and redhead. I am very excited to get some work done by you

·
Registered
69 Posts
not sure if this helps but i got a small variable speed bench grinder from harbor freight (maybe $30) and and ordered a soft wire wheel to fit. made a quick shield for it and it works great... i can adjust the speed for my needs and have done three ducks with it already. works great for now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts