The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to create a shallow water pond this spring for hunting ducks. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience or tips on making this and how to control the water level. There is a small creek running through the area now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First thing to do is check with DEP. Think there is an issue with damming up a stream and you need permits. Also something with changing the water flow and wetlands and the flood plain.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Here is the best way I have found to do what you want. This first pic is a front view of a water control structure.

You can add or remove boards to raise or lower the water level. These next 2 pics are what I did on a smaller scale with what I had to work with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that looks like where I am headed. Just a few questions.

1. What type of permits did you have to get to do that?
2. How deep does the water need to be?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
What type of permits did you have to get to do that?
Not sure about the type of permits needed but it's almost illegal to take a shovel full of dirt away from the stream bank.
You'd probably need a professional drawing of not only the site of the pond but of surrounding areas.
It ain't easy to build a LEGAL pond.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
975 Posts
AndyMeyer said:
that looks like where I am headed. Just a few questions.

1. What type of permits did you have to get to do that?
2. How deep does the water need to be?
Permits? If its on your land, do what you need to do.
12" over a large area would be nice. With the hills in my area thats very hard to do. With all the boards in my duck pond is 1/4 acre and 2' tapering to dry land.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Me and Pappy think alike on a lot of important things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how long did it take for the ducks to start using it? What kind of year round maintenance do you have to do?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Dude, I could write a book on ponds and what it takes to keep them up. My best advise is to do it right the first time. It all has to do with the area you have to work with. If you want to talk about it PM me your phone# and we can talk.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A friend of mine has a pond that is next to a creek. All he has to do is pump water from the creek each year to fill it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Pappy84 said:
Goosehunter said:
Me and Pappy think alike on a lot of important things.

Great minds think alike!

Until the PADEP finds out and comes down on you hard. If the OP thinks for any reason his neighbors or someone else might give an anonymous call to the DEP, sek a permit. When you go to sell your property, you may run into trouble as well. Nobody will buy your land with an unpermitted dam. I've actually seen it happen. The fines were steep. The cost to undo the dam was steep and the land owner didn't have the money. The DEP never shows mercy or sympathy. Be careful with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i take it, the way it sounds, permits are going to be the right way to go. Who do we need to contact to get these permits? Also, where did folks buy the flashboard risers? Did you make your own, or did you buy them from somewhere?

·
Registered
536 Posts
The easiest way to start is contact your county conservation district office. Thye can tell you pretty quick what you can and can't do and what paperwork is involved.

You can make the level control box yourself but if you want something that won't leak because you didn't know what you didn't know when you built it, contact AgriDrain.

Pappy is right on his insight about the 12" pipe. Def go with that size. I've built a few ponds and 12" is all I'll put in for a wide variety of reasons.

As an FYI, the conservation districts and US Army Corp of Engineers don't need warrants or any of that crap to come look at your land. It's way easier than that. I know first hand that they use sattelite pixs to look for midnight ponds and creek dams. IF something pops a flag they just hop in a plane or chopper and go have a look. The other great way for them to get the drop on you is the muddy creek you make when building it and someone downstream sees it and calls it in.
And the other posters comments about you having to tear it out is a very real possibility.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dont touch an existing wetland or stream, make sure your drainage area is less than 100 acres to your pond, do not disturb more than 5000 sq ft when creating a berm, and do not have an out let pipe and dep, your local conservation district and the corps cant touch you. If you have a decent drainage area to get water to a point it will flood. If you keep it close to a stream without impacting any wetlands or the stream you can flood it yourself. PS make sure you have a good clay or highly compacted soil so the water does not infiltrate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
bsherman252 said:
Dont touch an existing wetland or stream, make sure your drainage area is less than 100 acres to your pond, do not disturb more than 5000 sq ft when creating a berm, and do not have an out let pipe and dep, your local conservation district and the corps cant touch you. If you have a decent drainage area to get water to a point it will flood. If you keep it close to a stream without impacting any wetlands or the stream you can flood it yourself. PS make sure you have a good clay or highly compacted soil so the water does not infiltrate.
Almost true. I would agree, stay below 5,000 square feet of earth disturbed area. This would eliminate the need for an Erosion Control Plan. Even without an outlet you could still create pollution or other problems that DEP and the local conservation district can investigate. Contact your DEP regional office to see if any permits are necessary. If wetlands are involved, a permit will be necessary. So most likely you will need a permit. The permits are usually easy to do but take a while to get due to backlog. If you have questions, feel free to PM Me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts