The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I am new to waterfowling and I am currently buying stuff a little at a time to get ready for the upcoming season. I have some cheaper duck calls, however I am looking to invest some money into better calls before the season starts. The problem is that I have no clue what I would even buy. Could someone provide me with some insight as to the differences in calls? I see that there are single reed, double reed, different materials and sounds, etc. Where do I start?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Your best bet is to find a place where you can try a bunch of calls & find one you like best. Typically double reeds are easier to get the basic sounds out of. The singles have more range and flexibility, but are supposed to be tougher to get the hang of. For what it's worth, when I was learning, I couldn't get a decent sound out of a double, but I could on a single (go figure).

Something else to consider....a $200 duck call in $20 hands is going to sound like a $20 call.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think jguns has the right idea. Go somewhere you can try a bunch of different calls. Like jguns, I found the single reeds easier at first, but that may not work for you.

Also, get a part time job, buying calls can be habit forming.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Say what you will about the company but the Big Guys Best in Coco practically blows itself. Very versatile and user friendly double reed. Buy one and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Lol ya know... Before I hit "submit" I gave it second thoughts... I assumed it was safe in the context of a duck call... You know what they say about assuming..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've got tons of calls and just picked up a new favorite. A Betts Open Water. It's got a great tone, not too low and raspy, not too high. It's very easy to control, takes little air to make sing and can still get loud to talk to the high flyers. Duck calls are more about what the hunter likes, not what the ducks like. I also carry a BSOD cut down. Not for the beginner. Echo, RM, Hobo, Watkins, Foiles, Zink, RNT, lots of guys make a great call that can kill ducks. It's just about what you want.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
And about materials. Polycarbonate is a fine, dense material for calls. Many guys don't like them because they are mass produced and have zero skill involved in making them. Duck commander, Mick Lacy and lots of other guys make a cheap call. I'd get a Echo if I went that route. Wood is considered by many to produce a softer sound, acrylic a crisper sound. Both wood and acrylic are generally made by hand and are where craftsmanship come in. Wood tends to hold moisture more than acrylic and if you're a spitter, that can lead, sometimes, to more freeze ups in winter. A wooden barrel with an acrylic insert is a good compromise.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
just a thought.. something we may be overlooking for this feller... get the spot, get the decoys and let the decoys do the talking for you.. or offer to bring someone along that knows how to call.. it may be worth it to you to give someone a chance to hunt with you while teaching you to call...

personally, I don't do much early season calling and I only call when they are flying away from me due to numerous reasons.. but that's me.. I'm not the greatest caller, I call just enough for the ducks to hear me.. the dekes do the rest..

good luck and I assure you that your asking the right questions.. get a second income lol..

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Whhiitt, whhiitt, whhiitt, whiitt, whit!

A $20 Wallmart call will kill ducks in the hands of someone that can blow a call. It's all personal preference.

That said. You might as well take the leap and buy a $100+ call. You're probably going to feel the need to have one when you get good on a call. Foiles, Final Glide, Zink, Echo, RNT, Grounds, Sean Mann, etc., etc.. All good calls. I like Foiles and Final Glide. Seem to fit my mouth the best for sealing off air.

Go to Cabelas and blow a bunch. You should be able to get a feel for what you like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am going to try out a bunch of calls and see what I like. My plan is to get the best call I can get that sounds comfortable and allows me the chance to improve my calling. Then I'm going to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts