The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 14 deep v aluminum boat with basic bench seats and a 1984 9.9 Johnson. Just looking to use to go up and down local river and mainly retrieve birds. How good will the 9.9 push the boat with 2 guys and gear? Not looking to break speed records just get on plane and not bog and push water. Had a 14ft boat years ago that had tons of wood flooring and compartments. It was so heavy the 9.9 would just push water. Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'd imagine you'd be plowing with 2 guys and gear in that boat.. Personally I'd try to get as close to the max on the capacity plate hp as possible.. Its amazing how much weight adds up when you're talking duck hunting in the winter

·
Registered
975 Posts
We used to fish Canada from 16' deep V boats with 9.9s. They got us on plane with 3 people and that boat is 2' bigger than what your looking at. Before I would buy any boat you need to take it for a spin and try and duplicate the conditions you will be using it for. What you buy will also depend on what you can afford. I hunt the pool just down from you and have never maxed out on speed while hunting. Not sure what the wind chill is with a temp of 20 and a speed of 30 mph. but I know its COLD and more than I can handle for any period of time.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I agree with Pappy. I've been in boats with big motors when it was cold. It wasn't fun. A 9.9 will push you fine and it will plane. My father had a 16.5 deep V boat with floors with a 9.9. It planed and pushed us at about 10 mph. I wouldn't travel any faster than that anyways while it is still dark in the morning. I saw a guy last week open up with a 90 hp while it was still dark and without lights to boot. One badly placed log and... A 9.9 might keep you from the temptation to do something you shouldn't while it is still dark. Another thing to keep in mind is that with a 14' fishing boat like you described, you will be pushing the weight limit with two guys and gear. If you add a third, you could be traveling dangerously. That's what caused those guys to flip on Mosquito Lake this year when that guy from Pittsburgh died while duck hunting. I was going to buy my nephew's 14' deep V boat but I am having second thoughts. I loved my father's boat but unfortunately, my brother has it. I also agree with Pappy that you should give it a test drive. I bought a 1.25 hp motor for my duck boat. It ran fine while the guy showed it to me. After running it for 10 minutes, it stalled and I had to keep it throttled down. The second time I took it out, it died. I have to clean out the carb in the off season. Caveat Emptor. Good luck with your search and eventual purchase.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 14' deep V with a 95' 15hp evinrude. With two people and gear it comes right up on plane and runs fine, with 3 people and gear/decoys forget about getting up on plane at all. i agree with lwrsusq and get close to the capacity plate.

I recently had the boat out for the very first time without anyone else or any gear and it is amazing how much of a difference the weight makes.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This is the way I look at HP.. Just because you won't always use it doesnt mean you won't need it.. If you have a 25 on there and only run it half throttle duck hunting, then do that, but when you need the power you have it.. Things happen on the water that require you to get in quickly, and having the extra power can be huge..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I agree with test driving but hard to get people that have them winterized to let me. Thats the negative of buying it in the winter but positive is the prices. I will mainly be using to retrieve from one location but that day will come when I want to venture somewhere and can't. My price range is $1500 which is dampering what I can get also.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pappy84 said:
We used to fish Canada from 16' deep V boats with 9.9s. They got us on plane with 3 people and that boat is 2' bigger than what your looking at. Before I would buy any boat you need to take it for a spin and try and duplicate the conditions you will be using it for. What you buy will also depend on what you can afford. I hunt the pool just down from you and have never maxed out on speed while hunting. Not sure what the wind chill is with a temp of 20 and a speed of 30 mph. but I know its COLD and more than I can handle for any period of time.
Pappy,
What type of set up do you use?

·
Registered
975 Posts
lwrsusq said:
This is the way I look at HP.. Just because you won't always use it doesnt mean you won't need it.. If you have a 25 on there and only run it half throttle duck hunting, then do that, but when you need the power you have it.. Things happen on the water that require you to get in quickly, and having the extra power can be huge..
I agree with you that to max out your ride with HP is the way to go. But the other factors I was thinking of were dependablity and cost. The OP was getting a package deal on a 9.9 and if it runs good and the boat fits his needs I think he should go for it. New motors run about $100/HP and even a used 25HP in good shape is going to go around 2K. For what he is using it for in our rivers I think he will be fine provided the motor he is getting runs good and is not junk.

·
Registered
975 Posts
greenhead said:
Pappy, What type of set up do you use?
I am running a 1760 Grumman flat bottom. Its rated at 115hp but I have a Yamaha 50 on the back with T&T and it GPS at 32mph with 3 guys and gear.

Have I ever run it wide open when hunting? NO
Have I ever needed to? NO
Do I wish I had more HP? NO
Could I do with less HP? Yes, and did so when I first purchased the boat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
greenhead,i am not on here alot but i have a 16' modified v boat with a 25hp you could try some saturday or sunday once the season is out or i am not working.i agree with the above posts of horsepower- it is nice to have a little more and not need it than need more and not have it. it does get cold when you run WOT in january or febuary

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
We used to run a 15 hp 2 stroke evinrude on our 14 deep v. it it went up on plane easy. just run it at full until it planes then back it off so your not flying through the gas... ran out a few times. lol. good luck

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I had a 14 ft flatbottom with a 15 that was terrible with 2 guys and gear.. I upped it to an 18 with a 25 carb that made a huge difference.. If the price on the package is good is go for it, but don't be surprised it you want to upgrade in the future.. My current boat is a 1756 g3 that's rated for 70.. I have a 90/65 jet, but they only come from the factory with a 60/40.. I've seen the same boat on the water and there's no comparison.. I get about 35 with just me and no load.. I see about 31 with 2 guys, blind, decoys, guns, gear, etc.. I personally feel more comfortable having a boat/motor that doesn't have a serious performance drop when adding all the weight.. Depending on the 9.9 you may be able to replace the carb with a 15hp carb and gain some performance there.. You'll find a ton of info on the web about doing that.. The other thing you'll want to mess around with is the pitch.. I'd imagine having a prop for hunting while loaded down and another for when the boats not loaded down will help.. Hard to get much out of the motor if you're only getting 70% of the max rpms

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyone comes by a nice boat like im in the market for swing me a PM. The 14 I had found is all the way in Buffalo. Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want a 14-16 with gas motor

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm on my third duckboat in 10 years..i had a 14 ft flatbottom with a yamaha 4 stroke 9.9..it ran pretty good unloaded..but when,i put 2 guys and a dog and gear it dog'd, but it got us a around and still had alittle hp left just in case...but most of the time we were pushing water..went to the 17 Landua..center console 25 horse,popup blind..fastiest boat till this day that i had..why i got rid of it 2 stroke Johnson always hard to start and the steering froze up on me floating down the river..scarey..dropped some money on DH-15..4 stroke 25horse all the bells and whistles..hauls alot of weight and it just a pleasure to hunt out of...so my point is this..get the best boat you can afford..and if the guy does'nt want to run it for you..don't buy it...the market is good for boats the last year or so..guys are selling them cheap..so be picky for 1500 you can buy some boat with that money...and 9.9 is ok..but i'd like to see you with aleast 15+ with 3 guys and gear...specialy on the river..the current fights you sometimes...Honkers

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I have a 16' deep V with a 25hp Merc. It does good with 2 hunters. With 3 hunters, blind and gear it gets bogged down a bit. Wish I had gone with a 40hp.

When buying a boat try to figure out the worst possible conditions you may find youself in while hunting and be sure you have the boat and motor to handle it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just from experience I'd say stay away from the 9.9... My buddy and I hunt all up n down the river in his 16 ft semi v with a 25 merc. Has just enough power to push but it could use some more. So I think a 14 ft with a 9.9 would be a night mare. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts