The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine bought an old pontoon boat and came up with some grand plans to convert it to a duck/goose boat.

Here are the befor and after pictures.

There is more to this than meets the eye. Post your thoughts and I can tell you how he has modified it in the hopes that he can lower and re-raise it while it is in the water.

He also plans to put more foliage / camo on it as well.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I know of a pontoon boat with bilge pumps so that he can lower and raise it like you said.. Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
You woudnt kill one duck out of that contraption, in my area, in an entire season with that thing. Thats my thaught....Sorry

·
Registered
434 Posts
pretty cool idea,
good for you...if your planning on making it a duck boat an only a duck boat.dull up all the shiny area's.

there's alot of room to expand upward's as to built a blind or blind's on top with roof's. an if ya camo real good an think outside the box.i think your gonna have a duck killing machine on your hand's.

i can't wait to see it after it's done.

congrat's so far.

see-ya
steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guessed right with the bilge pumps.

And he is not nearly done with the camo side of it. I think he plans to attach alot of real life cover to it. The stuff that you see now is just the base camo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you considered painting it? Especially the aluminum to dull the shine. You would have to put a lot of camo on there to get rid of all the shine, especially on a real sunny day. I think that even with all the cover and netting some of that aluminum will show through. Just a thought. Looks like it could be a real killin machine though. Are you planning to transport it everywhere since the docks will be pulled when cold weather sets in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The pontoon is painted in nat gear camo. About 8 coats of paint when it was finished. I researched which camo pattern I wanted and picked this one. Time will tell. I was going to try to spray glue and sprinkle dirt over the top to add to it but haven't found a glue spray yet that doesn't leave a shine.

Now that is a shine

Several coats of primer and base layer of the camo pattern

Thanks for the compliments. Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
The first test in the pond was a success!

The back end will be covered with brush like a normal island in the river. Most of them have a bunch of brush on the back side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome job. Glad to see all of your hard work and $$$$ paying off. Can't wait to see the first pics of what you harvest off your duck barge.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts