The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013-2014 Daily Fishing Pass at the Douglaston Salmon Run on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY will now cost $50 eff 8/15/13......I know a number of guys on here fish the DSR. It has been $45 for the past few years but I remember when it was $20 bucks in salmon season and $10 in steelhead season. Cost for a Season Pass is increasing as well.......

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
If you never fished the DSR, you have know idea what you're missing.
I've fished that river in salmon season from top to bottom for the past 18 years, and nothing compares to the sportsmanship and class of the DSR. Anywhere that is open to the public during salmon season is nothing but an absolute bruhaha of lead slinging snaggers looking to meat hook every fish that comes by them.
You can actually fish the DSR, and I've had mulitple 100+ fish days there.
With the extra costs, I now watch the water and weather and do a mid-week 3 day run which will now cost me $150 for 30 hours worth of entertainment. That's $5/hr for something that I absolutely love to do. I have no problem paying the trespass fee to fish the most incredible salmonid water in the East.
Go just above the line where the Douglaston ends and the public waters begin. It's like going from a clear, cool mountain spring to a stinkin' algae filled mud puddle.

Here is part of the DSR that used to be public water before the owners shut it down due to the filth people left behind.

Here is 3 days at the same hole after the DSR took it over:

People actually take their trash home with them on the DSR.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
If this ain't worth $5/hr you might as well go home and put a bullet in your head.....and I mean that in a good Christian way. October Browns!!!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Seriously dude if you ever want company give me a shout..i dont know enough serious fisherman to join me on a trip up there and I need to stretch the 8 wt out

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Great pics!I used to fish the salmon river alot but unfortunatley haven't been there in many years.When I go back thats where I'll likely go.Looks awesome!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Holy Chrome!. Nice pics. I really wish I lived closer to SR. If I did I'd be fishing it a lot more often. I would probably get a DSR pass also. I don't like the fact of paying that much, but if the fishing is that great then why not. Otherwise for the 1-2 trips a year I fish in the public areas.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I made multiple trips to the salmon river last year and I could actually fish with plenty of room every trip. We are not all lead slinging meat hooking snaggers like you label us. If you want to head up next fall smay You can go with me and instead of spending $50 to fish I will only charge you lunch. lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree, there are idiots and snaggers everywhere on that river, including in the DSR. However, in the DSR there's a good chance the offenders will be asked to leave. Then those guys will head up river and join the rest. Not everyone in the river above the DSR is a meat hooking snagger, but there are plenty and it just gives all a bad name. It doesn't matter where in NY you fish, there's something about those monster sized fish that brings out the worst in some people for a stupid fish that shouldn't even be eaten by cats or dogs let alone humans......For my money, the DSR is the only way to go.

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
ratherbhuntin said:
I made multiple trips to the salmon river last year and I could actually fish with plenty of room every trip. We are not all lead slinging meat hooking snaggers like you label us.
+1
And don't forget you are no longer allowed to keep any trout at the DSR, all have to be released. I've fished the DSR as well and seen quite a few rippers as well, only difference is they are wearing expensive waders and using expensive equipment.

I do ok.

·
20,167 Posts
To me there is nothing special at all about catching a nice trout from a private water whether it be the DSR, Donny Beaver properties, or any other club. When you're not doing it like the common man it ain't the same. Just like a large whitetail shot on a fenced in property........you can hang it on your wall but its not as good as the one your neighbor shot behind the house. I wouldnt pay simply cause in have too much pride in my ability to need to.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
To me there is nothing special at all about catching a nice trout from a private water whether it be the DSR, Donny Beaver properties, or any other club. When you're not doing it like the common man it ain't the same. Just like a large whitetail shot on a fenced in property........you can hang it on your wall but its not as good as the one your neighbor shot behind the house. I wouldnt pay simply cause in have too much pride in my ability to need to.
Have you ever fished the Salmon River?
The fish enter the Estuary from Lake Ontario to make their run up the river. Their first run is through the DSR which is privately owned, but they are just as wild a fish as they are when they reach the public waters. These are not privately stocked fish.
I don't think the $50/day puts anyone into the elite class of spending money. What does a round of golf cost now? What about a charter boat trip to catch the same fish? What about the cost of fuel to make a day trip somewhere? I mean come on, it's $50 not $500.
And Beagler, we are all snaggers up there whether people admit it or not. I've snagged thousands and thousands of fish while trying to drift to the one I was casting for. Everybody snags whether it be intentional or not. On my 100 fish days, I'll legally catch around 20 or so, while snagging the remainder.....you just can't help it....and yes, I've snagged countless fish in the mouth.

We should get together up there sometime.....once in a while I'll come down off my rock to fish amongst the underlings. LOL I've got some great places to stay up there. People have been very good to me with lodging.
Nice Simms getup by the way......to rich for my blood.

Smay, remind me about going up and I'll get ahold of you if you want to go. I'll warn you though that my trips are almost always mid-week and spur of the moment depending on weather and water. Plans often transpire quickly.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I've had multiple 100+ fish days all over that river, even when fishing shoulder to shoulder in some places.
Every single person that I've taken with me to the promise lands has been an instant convert. We'll spend 3 days or so tearing up our rotator cuffs on the unmolested fish, making long drifts with 8-12 pound leaders and egg patterns, and then maybe fish in the middle of the circus for a day or two just to remember how we once had it and to get a good laugh.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
fairchild or RBH or both i'm game. middle of the week sometimes works better than weekends.

I'm all for fishing public water and not paying to fish BUT this is a different story. These aren’t stocked fish that are put there by a private club. These fish will run up to the public waters just the same. In club waters you pay for the fish… now while I have never been there I see it as paying for the elbow room. I’m the kind of guy that prefers some elbow room and an unspoiled environment. $50 seems worth it to me to not be elbow to elbow with guys. I am a cheap person by nature, but there are some things worth paying for. Now if my misconception of elbow to elbow fishing and trash strewn stream banks is false than I would see no reason not to fish the public waters as it’s the same fish…

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
I don't think the $50/day puts anyone into the elite class of spending money. What does a round of golf cost now? What about a charter boat trip to catch the same fish? What about the cost of fuel to make a day trip somewhere? I mean come on, it's $50 not $500.
DSR= 50 dollars, Golf= 50 dollars, either way, its going to cost you 50 dollars to stand around a bunch of rich people who think they are better than everyone else.

Do you get a cart at the DSR?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts