The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing a few say they had a dry spell on here. how long is it and did it end this year and with what. mine was 10 years and ended with a 7 point

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Congrats! I started a dry spell this year, got a buck the past 2 years, but no such luck this season.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My last buck was taken in 2001. Been hunting hard since. I had a 5 year streak before 2001. That is why they call it hunting.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I just started a one year dry spell. Killed a 140 5/8" 10 point last year. Prior to that a 5 year spell that ended with a 118" 8 point. Both public land.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I got a buck 13 years in a row prior to last year. Now I'm working pretty hard on my second straight year without a buck. My own fault though. I squandered a pretty good chance in archery season and missed a pretty easy rifle shot on opening day due to a bullet deflection. We'll see how things end up in ML season.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i get a buck every 3-5 years but get a doe usually. maybe thats why i don't get many bucks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I acutally started my first doe dry spell this year. It is so strange that I have not had even a hint of a shot at a doe this year for the very first time ever - and I hunt a SRA. Most of my doe sightings were in people's yards driving to and from my hunting spots.

I am going to do some more scouting the next two weeks before going back out after Christmas with the slug gun or crossbow.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
2 year dry spell ended with an 8pt on the first saturday. I was getting concerned as I have gone years without a deer due to missed opportunities but the last two years lacked the opportunities and this year was starting to look the same until 345pm on the first saturday that is.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Got my first buck - a spike - in 1965. Saw my next buck in 1971 and shot a four point. Longest dry spell of my life.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Prior to 2007 I had killed 12 buck in twenty years of hunting. But in the last five seasons I've only killed one buck and that was last year. The three year dry spell prior to last year was my longest.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have not shot a buck since '02 I have shot does every year and some times more than one. I have passed small bucks every year, but I do not want to shoot one smaller than the last. I'd rather shoot a young doe than a young buck.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If I can't connect in the late season this will be my 3rd year without a buck. I hit a monster with the crossbow on Nov. 2 and never found him. I have shot a doe in those years I didn't get a buck. My longest streak ran from 95 to 2008.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I shot a buck in 1987, then didn't get back to PA to hunt again until 2003. I shot one in 2003 and bragged that I got one 2 years in a row. Had a 6 year dry spell then shot one in 2009.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts