The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of course I was working on my sound and it slipped right out of my hand and landed on its side, ruining the entire glass. I think to myself oh well I’ll get another, since this was my first call and the one I used to take my only bird ever. I’ve had it over ten years I bet.

As it goes, it’s a H. S. Strut black widow double glass friction call, which they don’t make anymore. Looking it up I found a lot of people saying it was one of the better mass produced calls ever made, and the $10 or $20 I paid now goes for $75-80 when they come up on ebay.

Is there any way or anyone who would be able to replace the glass?

Here’s a link to the one I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/Strut-Black-Widow-Double-Turkey/dp/B000KKB4XC

Any suggestions are appreciated! (Except telling me to throw it away haha)

EDIT- possible replacement- 3.5 inch frosted glass? Looks frosted, not clear, but does that really work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Green-...fe:m:mG9kgRL1CI-Hft1ZtiPMbPQ&var=521629362262

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes it can be replaced. If you know the size of the piece of glass and anyone local making calls, it can be replaced. Call Brookside in Tower City, I'll bet you a quarter he can replace your glass.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Yes it can be fixed, but if you want it to be as close to the same as it was before, you need to know the type of glass. Was it frosted, shot peened, clear? And you're going to need the correct adhesive and amount of pressure to apply.
Probably the best way is to find a pot call maker and have him fix it. If you need any help with that send me a PM.... I know a few guys, lol.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Think if this was me, 1st thing I would try is to contact the manufacturer. (They have contact info on there web sight) Check to see if they still have the same size and type of glass that was used in your call. If not try to find out what they did use in order to try and duplicate it. I've made a few pot calls, if I can help send me a P.M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts