The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for thoughts. I know everyone has different opinions of why they use what they use etc. However, I am in the process of buying a new bow and not sure if I want to get away from my Whisker Biscuit or not. I like the idea of simplicity and that's why I haven't moved towards the drop away's. I treestand hunt 100% of the time.

If you do shoot a drop away, why do you prefer it over say a biscuit style rest?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
QAD drop away by far, When the arrow is released there is nothing touching my fletchings

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a QAD drop away as well. I know when I put it on my bow it increased my accuracy and tightened up my groups. It also increased my bow speed.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There have been a lot of deer that have been killed by arrows shot through both. I really think it boils down to personal preference. If you're comfortable with the WB, stick with it. If you want to try something new, I'm sure you'll like the drop away as well. My opinion is if you're looking to squeeze every ounce of accuracy and speed out of your bow, the drop-away probably wins, but not by much. If you're like me and just need to shoot heart-sized groups out to 40 yards, I think either will work just fine.

I've been shooting a WB for well over a decade, and have never felt compelled to change to a drop-away. That said, there's a drop-away already installed on a bow I just purchased, and I'll probably let it there.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a fleet of Admirals, (get it?), that me and my 2 boys shoot. All with fall aways NAP apache, and 2 with Trophy takers. Thinking one son was just a bad shot, I switched to a LimbDriver for him. Paper tuned it in, and instantly accuracy was improved greatly.
Its really well made and simple to set up.
Now to find one for myself.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I set up a lot of bows every year for a lot of people. I've yet to see anyone who can outshoot a Whisker Biscuit. I will also say that most guys worry more about what people think of their equipment and how much it costs than they do about being effective in the woods.

As for me and Dwight Schuh, we'll stick with the Biscuit.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
I set up a lot of bows every year for a lot of people. I've yet to see anyone who can outshoot a Whisker Biscuit. I will also say that most guys worry more about what people think of their equipment and how much it costs than they do about being effective in the woods.

As for me and Dwight Schuh, we'll stick with the Biscuit.
This ^^^^lol. I hear accuracy accuracy, what are you shooting? Without a doubt the whisker biscuit is the best hunting rest out there! It is basically fail proof! Not so much with a drop away. Been shooting them for years. I bought a new bow and the bow shop guy wanted me to try a drop away so I did for a year, then went right back to the biscuit! As far as accuracy goes, I shoot 3d with guys that all have 150$+ drop away rests and they make fun of my biscuit. They don't make fun of my score though cause they are usually trying to catch me. I shoot out to 40 yards my arrows fly true and they hit where I'm aiming. I don't shoot groups I shoot deer.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Whisker biscuit is cheap and fail proof which is why it's a go-to for many hunters. I have an AAE DOA and think it's one of the best drop away rests on the market. In terms of accuracy, both are good, but you will have a slight reduction in speed with a whisker biscuit because of the fletching contact. Thats why I chose the drop away rest. I like speed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Whisker biscuit is cheap and fail proof which is why it's a go-to for many hunters. I have an AAE DOA and think it's one of the best drop away rests on the market. In terms of accuracy, both are good, but you will have a slight reduction in speed with a whisker biscuit because of the fletching contact. Thats why I chose the drop away rest. I like speed.
Ever tested that speed theory? I have, and in most instances it's 1-2 fps. Yet another Biscuit misconception.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I installed a QAD drop away for this season a few months ago. Shot WB before that. Haven't used it hunting yet, but plan to be out Saturday.

My grouping is tighter with the drop away, but that has more to due my improved experience both shooting and tuning my bow.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There have been a lot of deer that have been killed by arrows shot through both. I really think it boils down to personal preference. If you're comfortable with the WB, stick with it. If you want to try something new, I'm sure you'll like the drop away as well. My opinion is if you're looking to squeeze every ounce of accuracy and speed out of your bow, the drop-away probably wins, but not by much. If you're like me and just need to shoot heart-sized groups out to 40 yards, I think either will work just fine.

I've been shooting a WB for well over a decade, and have never felt compelled to change to a drop-away. That said, there's a drop-away already installed on a bow I just purchased, and I'll probably let it there.
Original poster, this is probably the best advice you will get on the forum. The ability to shoot tight groups will increase one's confidence and the more confident a shooter the more accurate a shot. You will get varying opinions from everyone and it boils down to personal preference and what they are comfortable with. Try checking with your local shops and see if they will hook you up with trying either one out. I was able to try both out to see which one worked better when I was purchasing my bow.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
I have been shooting a drop away for about 7 years now, a nap quick tune. It's never givin me a moments trouble, and for the type of hunting i do, i see no reason for anything more bulletproof.

Now if I was still going on backcountry hunts where I might be in the wilderness for 2 weeks, and coming out for repairs or replacement wasn't an option, I might be thinking about bombproofing everything on my setup, rest and sight at the top of the list.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a 2-prong rest, kinda spring loaded. Been on my bow since the mid 90's.

Serious question: have they just gone out of style, or are these new rests you guys are mentioning doing something my dumb rest can't for accuracy?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome guys! Thank you.

Paddy 06 - my dad still has that style rest. IMO the drop away has replaced that style for the most part, could be wrong though.

My PSE Decree (that I am selling if anyone is interested in the 'for sale' area) was shooting 315 at 70# with a whisker biscuit. The shop I take my bow to, to get work done wanted to see the FPS this bow was shooting because they heard impressive speeds from the Decree. I like speed however its not my main concern. I since tuned it down to 65# but did not chrono test it at 65#.

Not sure what i'll end up doing on the new bow yet but I like the idea of trying a few at the shot to see what each does. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've used both. I really saw no difference. If we are talking 1-2 FPS...does it really matter?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I shot a prong style rest on my old High Country bow for almost 15yrs,never had a problem and harvested 8 deer with it. When I purchased my Hoyt I had a drop away installed on it and right away I could see the improved accuracy. I would never go back to a prong rest again, the whisker biscuit and drop aways hold your arrow in place so much better....IMO

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
you said right in your post "simplicity" with the WB, if it ain't broke don't fix it....

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
When I was still shooting compounds I preferred a WB...mostly because with full capture if I draw and decide to let down nothing moved...with the newer drop away rests can you let down without having to reset the rest?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts