The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I believe in KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid! But everybody I talk to in all the shops keep saying drop aways are the way to go. Has anyone had problems with their drop away? I would be afraid of it freezing up in poor weather. It just seem that a drop away would be one more thing that can go wrong. Tell me the pro's & con's that you've seen with your drop aways. Thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The only problem that I have had was the string that ties into the bow string from the rest started to fray. This was after alot of shots and I would say resulted from "normal" wear. Don't wait any longer to put one on. you won't be sorry! Far less to worry about than using mechanical broadheads. My two cents.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I put a rip cord rest on my current now and my accuracy has improved 10 folds and my groups have tightened tremendously...I am very happy with my rest. I don't you could go wrong with any of the drop away rest on the market today.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I had a hard time getting it set-up, even by a shop installing it. The fletchings would hit the retaining bar or the rest itself. Some bows just have a harder time accepting them. I dont like using it, I dont trust it but it is too late to change for this season. As soon as the season is over, the WB is going back on. If you want to Keep it simple, use a WB. I never had issues with flight, nothing moves and it doesnt freeze up. Dont let the "pro's" at the shops tell you what to use. Shoot them both and then you decide, you may or may not like the drop-away.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I shoot a qad hd.

Pros...no arrow contact...as uneffected flight as you can get...

Pro for the qad, full containment...

Unlike the wisker deals that add friction and force to the arrow...I just don't like that...

Cons...it could fail...but, so can most all of your gear..another risk...but, I've shot mine countless times...no troubles...

Another would be initial setup...a good shop can do it in seconds...but, if the timing ain't perfect, it won't work right..also, have a shop serve the cord in and loose the goofy clamp that comes with most drop aways...

I rather trust a drop away rest than a mechanical broadhead...lol..still can't get over that hump...

But, the reason I switched, opening day one year...guess 07..my 2nd year archery hunting...nice 8pt catches me off guard..like 10yds away...he walks off and is still only 10-15yds..slighlty quartering away...unaware he's about to get a muzzy sent into the beautiful crease behind the should he made as he fed...I draw..."twang". What the???? Next thing I know my arrow is flip flopin all over...I'm at full draw..nice buck within spitting distance...I manage to catch the arrow and not slice my hand to pieces...and he keeps feeding! I ease off full draw...still didn't cut myself! I renock the arrow and hit full draw...by that time, the gig was up...he had me but not 1000%...I thought he was farther than 20 and didn't know how far...he walked away....I let down...(he was like 17 lol...I've done it countless times in that spot...a dip in the woods throws me 10yds off every time!

Anyways, I lay my bow across my stand...I had a prong rest...when I seen him and drew, I never put the arrow on the rest! The muzzy caught my riser and pulled the arrow off the string during the last 2" of my draw!

Killed one that year and bought my qad after that....dumbie mistake.....but that's why its called huntin....so to take myself from the equation of being lazy, I bought the qad...

I like it a lot....but, its pricey...and I wouldn't go with anything other than an LD or HD as they can bounce back up without the lockdown feature....and that's not a sales gimmick...I know a few that had issues with some setups....

Never had an issue or malfunction...and, if it does fail to fall, the fletchings will knock it over as it takes little force to knock it over...not sure how true that arrow may fly...but, in a pinch, it may work out....I've hunt cold rain, snow, etc and no issues...

·
Registered
517 Posts
WHAT MAUSER SAID!

I bought the QAD ULTRA REST HD this summer and now my bow is a tac driver! You wont be sorry if you buy one!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks gang! I'll check out what you guys are using.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I used to shoot a Whisker Biscuit and switched to a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone drop away rest. It was the best thing I ever did to my bow. Groups tightened up considerably after the switch. Never had any problems with it after sending many many arrows through it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i thought the same thing when they came out. just one more moving part that can break. but i eventually made the switch over and love it. never had any issues.

·
Registered
287 Posts
DUDE ok i cannot speak higher of the ripcord code red fall away i got it about 3 weeks ago and since then i have split 2 arrow past 30 yards and as far as the KISS method goes it is extremely simple and it has an offset hole where the string comes out to prevent fraying again IMO it is the best rest on the market period.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I use a rip cord, I was nervous when I switched, but got over it...I really like the muzzy zero effect too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts