The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pick up a driving gun. Prob the rem 7600. Are red dots legal to hunt with? I understand the laser scopes are not. That being said, most red dot scopes are battery driven. I imagine the red dot would be ideal for a drive gun with the quick target pick up. Plus most of the thick stuff I hunt a x2, x3,or x4 would prob be sufficient.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
comblockshooter said:
short range and fast targeting go unscoped
I'll second that! My bear gun is a driving gun. I'm on most every drive. It's thick stuff. I don't see a point in having any optics getting in the way, caught on brush, fogged up, rainy lenses, added weight, etc. Peep sight works fine for me at close range and fast to acquire.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
+3 I would go with the iron sights. They work great for fast shots at close ranges. I am thinking of putting a peep on my 7600, I used the regular iron sights this year for deer but I am interested in the williams peep.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
It really depends on what you are after if you are looking at getting the red dot scope. Biggest thing to remember is that the red dots are battery operated so you can either conserve your battery and when something jumps you turn on your scope and proceed to try to shoot, or you keep it on during drives and change batteries a lot, just hoping that the battery doesn't die at the wrong time. Trijicon makes a scope similar to the red dot scopes that doesn't require batteries, and if your budget is quite large you can get one of these fantastic scopes to fit the bill perfectly for you. Another, more practical answer is to get a low powered scope that gives you the most field of view so you can acquire your target swiftly, center up the target, and fire. You will probably want a variable power scope so that you can, if required, make a more accurate long range shot. Depending on your budget you can find many scopes that will meet your needs. When you are ready feel free to contact me and I'll fill you in with more details on the options you have. Good luck!

Mac

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a Marlin 45-70 with both a Aimpoint T-1 and skinner ghost rings sights. In my testing, I am more accurate as well as quicker with the Aimpoint red dot.

Factor in the 5 year battery life of the Aimpoint and it becomes a no brainer. The only time the Aimpoint comes off of my rifle is when it is snowing/raining heavily and I cannot see well through it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
John-PA said:
+3 I would go with the iron sights. They work great for fast shots at close ranges. I am thinking of putting a peep on my 7600, I used the regular iron sights this year for deer but I am interested in the williams peep.
You'll love it. Get the combo with the front fire sight, that thing shows up like a beacon in the night, will also expand you hunting time right up to legal quiting time.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
My .45/70 GG has a 1-4 Bushnell compact scope with the circle-X reticle. I keep it on 1X when driving. I shoot with both eyes open and that little circle in the center of the crosshairs gets on target immediately. Ghost ring sights are another great option

·
Registered
389 Posts
JasonN said:
comblockshooter said:
short range and fast targeting go unscoped
I'll second that! My bear gun is a driving gun. I'm on most every drive. It's thick stuff. I don't see a point in having any optics getting in the way, caught on brush, fogged up, rainy lenses, added weight, etc. Peep sight works fine for me at close range and fast to acquire.

I agree. I would keep this type of rifle unscoped. Put a williams peep sight on it. They have one that mounts on the rear scope base screws.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have the Wiliams peep on one of my lever guns. The other wears a fixed 4-power scope.

I carry the peep-sighted gun when I am doing some driving with the crew.

One other option.....A Bushnell Holo-sight.....It just seems to me that it is much quicker to acquire the sight picture with the holo-sight.

The peep sight is good, the red-dot is really good, The Holographic sight is amazing.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have any of you thought about going with a tactical scope?
Burris and leupold have interesting options...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'd think about a 1.5-6x or 2-7x scope. A low power scope, for me, is as fast or faster than iron sights. Keep it on the lowest power, unless you get a longer, stationary opportunity.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Buddy of mine had a 94 Timber Carbine .444 for a spell. It wore a Nikon 0x duplex reticle scope. AWESOME rig !!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would get a Ghost Ring peep and a fiber optic front sight, preferably in green. My Second choice would be a 1-4X variable scope with a heavy crosshair or a post & crosshair (some times refered to as a German No 4) I really like the post & cross hair for close cover.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Lever or pump - what ever your personal preference. Both are great. IMHO - if shots are likely to be close and on running game - nothing beats a reflex style red dot. Not one of those honking things like the big Aimpoint 7000/9000 series. One like the Burris Fastfire II or others of that ilk.

A close second is a good peep or ghost ring setup.

The only time I scored a direct heart shot on a running buck was with my 45-70 guide gun with one of the first gen Tasco Optima ProPoints. For some reason, I have a hard time putting a scope cross hair out in front of a running deer. But I had no problem putting that dot right in front of his chest line on his profile as he ran from left to right about 50 yards away. I ended up shooting him right in the heart.

I just built up another such gun on a Rem.7600 in .35 Rem. But this time I went with an ATK assault style collapsible/adjustable stock and a Williams peep rear sight. Didn't bag anything with it yet but it will become my gun for hunting in the pouring rain. No scope or red dot. I don't care too much for the Williams peep and so it will be getting a XS sight system Tactical dot sight during the off season.

One caveat about my experiences with open wafer lens style reflex/red dot sights like the Tasco Propoint of the Burris Fastfire. No good in heavy snow or when driving/walking under branches that dump snow on you. The snow cakes up on the sight and when you try to blow it off it fogs up the sight.

Also of note here. Those AR style telescoping stocks a great way to make a gun adjustable for all kinds of weather and gear. Ever set up a gun in short sleeve weather, only to find out the scope is too far away when your wearing all your cold weather gear? I have! Does not happen with these stocks. just click it down a notch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts