1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am picking up a remington 7600 in 308. Here are my questions
Carbine vs the normal 22 barrel?
-The carbine is clearly lighter but you figure the 22 barrel would give you a little more velocity and eat a little more recoil which means faster follow up.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
carbine all the way. cut it down to 16.5" and put a low power scope on it with lots of FOV. a deer won't notice the difference in velocity, believe me and the difference between 22 and 16 makes it a different gun. i shoot a 338 federal with a 16.5" barrel and it drops 'em like a truck.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Carbine all the way. My 7600 30/06 Carbine(18.5") handles very well in the thick stuff. At the ranges you will be shooting at little velocity loss means nothing.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I'd say the carbine myself. It won't give you that much velocity difference with 4 inches of barrel. The carbine is just more handy and quicker to the point. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
First off, I'm not sure Remington still makes the carbine, and I don't think they ever made it in a 308. A Good gun smith can cut the barrel though.
I don't know if your going with a scope or open sights, hopefully it's a peep if you are. If that's the case one thing to keep in mind down the road is your eye sight. If you stick to the 22 inch barrel you will be able to use the open sights a few more year on a 22 inch barrel compared to a 18 inch barrel.
The 18 inc barrel is lighter and nice in thick woods. It's also the length the legendary Benoits use. But like Spirit said handle both then choose.
Personally I like the 22 inch but it's more me than anything, never felt I could shoot a short barrel rife as well as a longer barrel rifle.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Coureurs De Bois said:
A Good gun smith can cut the barrel though.
Good luck. I got 7600 last year in .35 Rem. It has the std 22 inch barrel. I tried in vain to find a local smith to cut it down. Found a few online, but prices are ridiculous. They want like $125 to shorten the barrel and another $100 to remount the sight.

I gave up for now.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If you're going to be putting on drives through the thick stuff the carbine is nice and will snag up less, but I don't feel the 22" is that much of a problem either. The 06 carbine is still made but only with that (ugly) synthetic stock which feels barrel-heavy to me compared to the wood stock.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Davy Crockett said:
If you're going to be putting on drives through the thick stuff the carbine is nice and will snag up less, but I don't feel the 22" is that much of a problem either. The 06 carbine is still made but only with that (ugly) synthetic stock which feels barrel-heavy to me compared to the wood stock.
Hey,I like my UGLY gun.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sorry WTT, guess I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I understand the appeal of the performance of synthetics. I even have ONE as my "rain gun". But I'll pick laminated wood over synthetic when I can for such purposes.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Davy Crockett said:
Sorry WTT, guess I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I understand the appeal of the performance of synthetics. I even have ONE as my "rain gun". But I'll pick laminated wood over synthetic when I can for such purposes.
Yea,I agree that laminated wood is pretty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts