The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The Amish use it here. They have a small perforated water-line and connectors. They have a thing they pull behind a horse that runs the plastic line in and puts the plastic sheeting on top of the ground then all they have to do is connect the ends and cut in the plastic and plant on it. It has been years since I saw it so my memory might not be totally correct. I am thinking they said they can usually use the same line and plastic a few years. It was pretty slick and don't look like an elablorate set-up. They have a water tank that the water from a spring runs in from the mountain to the tank. The water goes all through the farm and across a paved road, I don't know how they got it under the road. All gravity operated. I know it has been 6 years since I saw this so I may not be right on some stuff. My memory isn't what it used to be and I only saw it once. If you had a big garden or tract it would be something to look into.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've tried it in my small garden. Seemed to work fine for some crops, cukes, tomatoes peppers, but for row crops (beans,beets , carrots....) I preferred a soaker hose.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I used to use a poor-man's drip irrigation system that I saw in Mother Earth News. It's as simple as putting a bucket next to the plant with a very, very small hole near the bottom and filling it with water as needed. I used cat litter buckets that I got for free off of Craigslist, and put a hole about an inch from the bottom with a big hot needle. The hole was small enough and the trickle slow enough that the buckets stayed full for quite some time, and I only watered the plant next to it instead of every weed seed in the whole garden. Looked a little silly having a few dozen cat litter buckets lined up in the yard, but it worked pretty well. Great thing about the cat liter buckets was they came with lids, kept mosquitoes from breeding in them and slowed the drip down even more.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I do the same thing with gallon plastic jugs. I use the heavy ones that pool chemicals come in. Just cut the bottoms off, wash good, and let them lay out in the weather awhile. Drill some holes in the cap, and stick them upside down right beside the plant. I have a pile of old aluminum arrows I use around the garden. I stick 3 of these around the jugs to hold them up. Just walk around and fill them up. Add liquid fertilizer, compost tea, as needed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
We ae vegetable farmers. We run drips for everything. I lay it right along with my plastic from my plastic layer. You run your fertilizer or straight water throught the same hose. I'll help ya with anyquestions you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts