The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1 was a success. I have mentioned several times in other threads I had planned on taking out my best friends 14 year old brother to one of my best stands, and filming for him, as he attempted to harvest his first deer. We ended up in the stand around 6:20. As it began to get light, a wide 4 pointer came to 15 yards, and stood perfectly broadside for 5 mins but it was still only about 6:45 and still too dark to shoot. I made him hold off, and we stayed put to see if he would come back, or another buck would come through. It wasn't until an hour later that this doe showed up with two others, and with a doe tag also in hand, he made a perfect 25 yard slightly quartering away shot. She only went 100 yards. Diamond Edge at 50# and 25" shooting a Gold Tip XT Hunter 3555 tipped with a 100 grain Rocket Steelhead. Almost a complete pass through, the arrow ended up falling out the other side as she ran away. What an unbelievable experience for me, to be able to guide him to his first deer, and to capture the entire event on film. I think I was shaking as bad as he was. I have harvested so many deer, so many big deer with a bow, but this is one of the top highlights of my bowhunting career. New stand together tonight, looking to fill that buck tag! The broadhead hole in the picture is the entrance! Incredible blood trail! I am so proud of him after all the time he has put in with me, learning to shoot, and practicing, and scouting, and making a perfect shot. What a great feeling! Dream come true, not only for him, but for me.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
That is truely a great story and really what hunting is all about. Congradulations to the both of you on your harvest. People like you are what keep this sport going, so from all of us avid hunters, thanks for doing that.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
That is SOOOO Cool. Congrats to the Both of you !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts