The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am reading correctly, a crossbow with a draw weight greater than 200 lbs is illegal in PA. That means that those of us who prefer a recurve crossbow like an Excalibur are limited to bows that shoot around 330 fps. Compound crossbows are around 400 fps with a 175-200 lb draw weight. This seem like an arbitrary or uninformed regulation. I was about to buy an Excalibur Matrix but, unless I am missing something, it is illegal despite being slower than many legal compound crossbows.

Am I missing something? I’d like to get something faster than what I currently have (2004ish Excalibur Exocet). I prefer the simplicity of a recurve over having to worry about cams. Am I accurate in reading the regulation?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at an old digest. I did some research last night and there no longer appears to be a restriction on maximum draw weight.

Now that that is cleared up I think I might buy an Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380 or 400. Sorry about the confusion.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I was looking at an old digest. I did some research last night and there no longer appears to be a restriction on maximum draw weight.

Now that that is cleared up I think I might buy an Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380 or 400. Sorry about the confusion.
Excal makes a great bow in my opinion. I would suggest you shoot one of the bows prior to buying. Be sure to draw the bow. Recurves can be a bear to draw in the higher speed versions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts