Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to drag your deer out?
If a rope,how long ang what diameter?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have two. Both store bought. One is a sash style and is great for days when I won't be taking a back pack. The other store bought one has two shoulder straps and a waist belt. Takes up more room in my pack but it is great when I am hunting alone.

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
I have used a 12 fit. 3/8" rope on a 8" piece of ax handle since the sixties. However for longer drags I now use a deer cart and my bet method is my 4 wheeler when I am hunting where it can be used. I carry my leg assist belt that came with my safety vest, but so far have not had an occasion to use it, but believe it will work fine. The trick is to contain the antlers and legs so they do not hang up on anything or cause addition friction. The fur coat will slide nicely on leaves.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I usually forget my drag rope and resort to my belt. So I would say it's a 34-36 brown leather with a very strong buckle. If only my belt could talk. Has drug out numerous deer, and a 150lb bear one year. Was the talk of the maple creek area for a couple years with that one.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Store bought 2 inch Nylon shoulder strap that has a D ring on one end. To that I have a length of 3 braided strands of parachord about 8 feet long.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
+1 for the Nylon shoulder strap. I keep it in my pack with a 10' jetski dock line. The nylon rope has a 12" loop at the top and a heavy plastic snap clip on the other. I put on the harness, slip the loop around the deer's neck and antlers, attach it to the harness, put on my pack, carry the rifle and walk out with the deer following behind me.
I am not going to try and say it is effortless but it is a lot easier than just a shoulder strap or a rope with a tree branch as a handle.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use a "Deer Drag" at least that is what I think it is called. Cushioned rubber handle. Love that thing.....Just drug my dad's buck out a few weeks ago with it......

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've used a Glens Deer Handle for years when I have to drag it to where i can get to it with the wheeler.I'm not sure if they still make them or not.

Thats what I use also......I tried about every other method there is and found the deer handle to be the best and most comfortable!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I use the store bought orange sash style with the very thin nylon rope that comes with it. Been using it for a very long time. Works great. When hunting private ground I only need to get it to the atv.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have the orange sash tied to a piece of 1/2 rappelling rope I bought at REI .....Originally bought the rope to drag bears with but it doubles as my deer drag too

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
A tractor or truck.When I dragged them out 2 people each with a front leg.Getting the deer off the ground makes it much easier snow or no snow.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I usually load them up on the rack of the ATV. If there's no mud I'll just drag them....a 3/8" nylon rope is always in the cargo hold. If I have to, I have a deer handle. I did drag a big doe about a 1/4 mile in October this year just to remind myself why I use the ATV!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
We have a couple climbing ropes. Maybe 2/3 inch diameter. Overkill for deer, but they are more comfortable on the hands. I hate the smaller diameter nylon ropes. They dig into your hands.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good old fashioned stick and rope. Get any rope that looks strong enough, mine is like 1/4" nylon or some other rope material, find a strong dead stick and snap it down to 12"-24" depending if there's one or two draggers, tie and wrap the rope around it until it's a comfortable length for pulling. Not as pretty as a "deer handle" but it works and doesn't take up space in your pack. Harnesses are nice once you get to skid trail but over logs and up steep banks and around trees they can be a pain I'd think.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts