The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
James Kroll
A self proclaimed "world authority" on Whitetail Deer will bring his controversial views on chronic wasting disease to
Hollidaysburg, Blair Co. July 13TH. Free seminar to be held at Hollidaysburg Junior High at 11:AM

Caption say's
James Kroll's view of disease clashes with that of PGC.:surprise2:

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
He has proven to be just as it says "a self proclaimed authority."

If I remember correctly he is or was being paid to have an opinion that CWD isn't as much a threat as the REAL CWD professionals say it is.

The fact that he is also a big deer breeder and deer farmer pretty much taints his self serving opinion in my view of the realities of the subject. My bet is that he is being paid to come there and say what the anti-CWD cull crowd want people to believe instead of what would be best for the future of our deer or hunting.

http://www.startribune.com/controversial-dr-deer-stirs-the-pot-in-minnesota-s-cwd-disease-zone/413499803/

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
We need all the help we can get with CWD, different views help. If a CWD positive deer is found in my hunting area, I feel that it is too late to do much, other than try to kill every deer, in the area, to help stop it from spreading. Only problem is wild deer are not confined, so in how big of an area do you kill everything . Not enough is known about this disease, and even when we do know something, nothing is done. If years back, all these deer would not have been shipped all over the country, we probably would not be in this situation. Nobody did anything to stop it, and here we are today with CWD, and the deer transporting continues. I know that it is called CWD, but I consider it worse than any disease.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
He's a self proclaimed expert in show me the money. I really believe Alt would have had some plans on dealing with this problem that would have thrown PA deer hunters and breeders into a spasms.

It's here to stay and will be getting worse.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
He's a self proclaimed expert in show me the money. I really believe Alt would have had some plans on dealing with this problem that would have thrown PA deer hunters and breeders into a spasms.

Read the report above. Alt was part of this team that mostly minimized CWD in WI.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

If I remember correctly he is or was being paid to have an opinion that CWD isn't as much a threat as the REAL CWD professionals say it is.

The fact that he is also a big deer breeder and deer farmer pretty much taints his self serving opinion in my view of the realities of the subject. My bet is that he is being paid to come there and say what the anti-CWD cull crowd want people to believe instead of what would be best for the future of our deer or hunting.

Controversial 'Dr. Deer' stirs the pot in Minnesota's CWD disease zone - StarTribune.com

Dick Bodenhorn
Yep, he is Dr. male bovine extrement, not Dr deer, just trying to line his own nest.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
From what I remember out west, the captive deer that got CWD were culled, the ground bleached, and after a few years maybe five, new disease free deer were put back in the deer pens, and they got CWD. So from this it sounds like once the land is contaminated, we are in trouble. Solution, may be kill as many deer as you can, and keep the area killed off, as new deer will also become infected. No way to kill off all the deer, but it could be tried. It will not be done by sharpshooters or regular hunting. My approach would be a total open season in selected CWD areas. No regulations, baiting, roadhunting, spotlights, semiautos, using dogs, what ever. This would not be hunting, but killing, anyway possible. Catch is all deer must be brought in for testing. A five dollar bounty for each deer, and if your deer tests positive, you receive 2500 dollars. This would maybe help keep people from killing deer outside the CWD area. As for the big money, people would concentrate on the CWD areas. Anyone trying to bring in deer from outside of the CWD area, would get jail time, fine and lifetime loss of hunting . I am not a professional, but would do anything to keep CWD from spreading.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am totally opposed to bounties, they never work. Mandating the testing of all deer killed would not work either. Look how long it takes for hunters who have their deer tested get the results back months, the labs would be so overwhelmed that they probably would just throw their hands up. I would strongly oppose throwing the door open and declaring war on the deer by the general license holding public as well. The first thing we must do is to demand that the Department of Ag be taken totally out of the equation and control be given back to the PGC. The legislature is more to blame for this than anyone, they are the ones who gave control to an agency who could not care less about our deer. If the truth be known Ag would probably be happy if they were all dead.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I was thinking that five dollars would give motivation to bring the deer in, it was the 2500 for the ones that test positive, that would be the real driver. I guess kind of like our coyote contests. As for licenses holding public, I would require no licenses, this would not be considered hunting. It would be an attempt at getting rid of as many deer possible in a CWD area to stop its spread. You are right, testing would take awhile. The 2500 chance, would be concentrating killers in the CWD area. I would not consider this sporting, nor hunting, but an attempt to slow down a disease that no one yet has stopped, except maybe in a small area in New York. So far PA has not been able to stop the spread of this disease, we can not even shut down deer farms.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It remains to be seen what effect CWD will ultimately have on cervid populations. One thing that I do know right now is that places that have had positive tests for CWD for decades have not seen adverse effects on populations except where we (hunters and sharpshooters) have engaged in 'herd reductions'. CO, WI, etc 'hotbeds' of CWD.

That deserves a chance to be heard since no one has figured out a way to stop the spread yet.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am totally opposed to bounties, they never work. Mandating the testing of all deer killed would not work either. Look how long it takes for hunters who have their deer tested get the results back months, the labs would be so overwhelmed that they probably would just throw their hands up. I would strongly oppose throwing the door open and declaring war on the deer by the general license holding public as well. The first thing we must do is to demand that the Department of Ag be taken totally out of the equation and control be given back to the PGC. The legislature is more to blame for this than anyone, they are the ones who gave control to an agency who could not care less about our deer. If the truth be known Ag would probably be happy if they were all dead.

So would the DCNR!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Maybe no adverse effects on population, but I believe the main concern is when and if it will mutate to humans. Could the population be doing alright because less hunters are killing deer in infected areas? A large herd of CWD deer that no one can eat does us no good. But I am sure plenty of diseased deer have been eaten. When I was in Wisconsin in 2004, people were eating meat before they got the test results. I remember the earn a buck deal, and going to a gas station store, to buy a doe tag, I can not remember if they were free or not, kind of think they were, but I remember the guy with a whole roll in his hand asking me how many I want. Also remember a deer farm north of me with CWD and deer supposedly escaped thru a hole in the fence, while the guy was fighting the state not to have his herd killed. My bet is those deer were loaded on a trailer, and transferred somewhere else, maybe here, then the hole was cut in the fence, who knows. Best advice if you do not have CWD near you, and you do not want to, stop the transporting of deer.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Maybe your right the paid experts have had fifty years to stop this disease, and they can not even stop deer farms from shipping sick deer around the country. From what I have seen there are no experts when it comes to CWD, after fifty years and it has only gotten worse. The public forum experts do not look too bad. I get your sarcasm.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts

Controversial 'Dr. Deer' stirs the pot in Minnesota's CWD disease zone - StarTribune.com

Dick Bodenhorn

Is he not the same guy who is now working with Alt? The same group that was hired by Wisconsin Gov to work the CWD problem in that state.? Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts

I could be wrong but don't Kroll and Alt work together now? Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Well it looks like the excess money the AG found has attracted a few vultures. Money will be gone before CWD. Waugh!

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Is he not the same guy who is now working with Alt? The same group that was hired by Wisconsin Gov to work the CWD problem in that state.? Waugh!
I don't think so.

Kroll, Alt and I believe another Biologist or two were hired, by the Governor of Wisconsin back about ten years or so ago, to evaluate the Wisconsin deer management program. They did that and put together a report of their findings, including the CWD surveillance process.

I think that is as far as any relationship or joint work between the two went. I am not even sure they agreed on Kroll's thoughts on CWD.

The difference between the two is that Alt is a trained professional who bases his reports in scientific findings while Kroll is simply a self serving non-professional who it would appear says what he is being paid to say and promote.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I don't think so.

Kroll, Alt and I believe another Biologist or two were hired, by the Governor of Wisconsin back about ten years or so ago, to evaluate the Wisconsin deer management program. They did that and put together a report of their findings, including the CWD surveillance process.

I think that is as far as any relationship or joint work between the two went. I am not even sure they agreed on Kroll's thoughts on CWD.

The difference between the two is that Alt is a trained professional who bases his reports in scientific findings while Kroll is simply a self serving non-professional who it would appear says what he is being paid to say and promote.

Dick Bodenhorn

I know some that say the last sentence cuts both ways. I tend to agree with them. Waugh!

1 - 20 of 221 Posts