The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if anybody makes a good camo goose down hunting jacket or parka now that I am getting older I like to travel as light as possible and down is light and warm I know it is not the best thing in the rain but it wouldn't be used in the rain. it seems to me its hard to find anything for hunting in goose down except maybe a vest

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I wear my down coat under a nice camo shell that is quieter and more abrasion resistance than my nylon down jacket. Also can remove and pack it down in pack of you get to warm.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
I like down too. I wear down under a shell. The shell is wind and waterproof.

Take a look at this stuff. I'm waiting for the super down jacket to go back on sale. It lists for $230 but on sale it is around $160. Thei down is waterproof so they say. The company has a good rep.

KUIU Super Down Products

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Take a look at this stuff. I'm waiting for the super down jacket to go back on sale. It lists for $230 but on sale it is around $160. Thei down is waterproof so they say. The company has a good rep.

KUIU Super Down Products
do you know how often they go on sale. do you or anyone you know have any of there products they look good for $160 price they have one for $20 more with the hood thanks for the information

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a Remington goose down parka 19100 for quite sometime now. The only place I could find another is Texas fowlers has them for $124.00. Check it out.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
do you know how often they go on sale. do you or anyone you know have any of there products they look good for $160 price they have one for $20 more with the hood thanks for the information
They just went off sale but they seem to have offers about every month. I expect one before Christmas.

If I hear anything I'll post it.

BTW You could get on their mailing list. But like most they inundate you with email.

I have not purchased anything from them yet. I found out about them after reading they produced the Stika line and then sold Stika out to Gore-Tex.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wear my down coat under a nice camo shell that is quieter and more abrasion resistance than my nylon down jacket. Also can remove and pack it down in pack of you get to warm.
what type camo shell do you use, I know down will pack down small but its a little bulkie when your wearing it how many sizes larger is the shell compared to the down jacket

·
Registered
10,662 Posts

what type camo shell do you use, I know down will pack down small but its a little bulkie when your wearing it how many sizes larger is the shell compared to the down jacket
It was made by Rocky. It is over ten years old. It has a liner but it is not warm. I use a down jacket from Cabela's or a Bean's vest under it.

This is similar to what I'm using now: Cabela's Deercreek Down Jacket – Regular : Cabela's

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Schott

Ck your pm's.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The camo shell is by Browning bought from Cabela's. Not Goretex has a few pockets. Is a quiet material not fleece. The down jacket was bought from an outfitter store. It is puffy but warm. I wear this when I won't be walking much as I will overheat. I also wear at times a synthetic lighter jacket at times that was a liner from another coat. I looked at the kuiu site. Nice stuff. I wonder how well their synthetic insulation jackets compress compared to down. There is also a synthetic down called Primaloft.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Guys

One FYI about Kuiu. The site say it is an "athletic fit". I need the "anti-athletic fit". I will call and ask about the fit and sizing. I'll post their response.

BTW that have a 20% off sale now but I'm waiting for the 30% off sale which will save me an additional $20 bucks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
+1 on Kuiu. The fit is a little different. Not much fabric around the middle and long in the selves. If you short and stocky, the fit might be a problem.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Guys

One FYI about Kuiu. The site say it is an "athletic fit". I need the "anti-athletic fit". I will call and ask about the fit and sizing. I'll post their response.

I called Kuiu. The CS rep said to use their sizing chart and go by the chest measurement.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

KUIU Super Down Products
They look nice but have you tested the "waterproof" claim? Just curious because if it truly is that would be huge and I would be interested. Their site says "water resistant" which is a huge difference so I'm curious.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Bearklr

I haven't purchased the Kuiu but will if I get the sale price. I have no doubt I'll find out if their down is truly waterproof....I will find a way to fall in. :D

That Drake looks nice. I wonder how that would fit under my shell.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Kuiu superdown itself is treated so that it repels water and retains its insulating properties. The garment itself is not waterproof so you are still going to get water soaking through it. You would still want to wear a waterproof shell over the superdown garmet if you want to stay dry in a rain storm.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts

KUIU Super Down Products

Sir,

I have the KUIU super down jacket, pull over, and there down pants...

Ultra lite weight, & warm.....The only draw back , I have is, that it's not a quiet material...

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Thanks Raspy

A quiet shell should help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts