The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, I am running behind schedule at the duck pond. Sunday morning I rolled out to the pond to put in a small plot for the doves and ducks, trying to make it a multiple species hunting spot.

With the use of the push mower, Dad's garden tiller, field rake, backpack sprayer, and a broadcast spreader, I planted some sunflowers, sorghum, oats, and barley. Hopefully something in the mix pans out for us. It's not a very big plot...but with the tools available, that's what I was able to do.

I also broadcast some millet seed on the mud flats and wet areas around the pond edge. I let the water down another 4" Sunday morning so I can hopefully seed some more millet tonight when I take the little man fishing (with more mud exposed). The button bush plants are doing well around the pond and around the blind.

The near end of the plot in the pictures is pretty wet - I put mostly barley/oats and millet there. The millet should be fine, and it will be a test for the barley/oats. We had lots of sun and wind Sunday during the day, so it should dry out pretty well. Not sure what it will be like after another rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Isn’t it considered baiting if you hunt waterfowl within a certain distance of a manipulated dove field? Or do you remove everything 30 days prior to your first waterfowl hunt?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Crop manipulation is planting a crop such as corn or other grain then brush hogging it down and hunting over the field. Planting food that waterfowl food or or food that doves eat and letting it stand and then hunting over it is not crop manipulation. However for doves, in many states, crop manipulation for dove hunting is , sadly legal, the PGC did it last year at Middlecreek in some fields. Draining down a pond or wetlands in order to plant a food source such as millet or smart weed is not considered crop manipulation by either state or federal law for waterfowl.

Reactions: OAWC

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
As usual, I am running behind schedule at the duck pond. Sunday morning I rolled out to the pond to put in a small plot for the doves and ducks, trying to make it a multiple species hunting spot.

With the use of the push mower, Dad's garden tiller, field rake, backpack sprayer, and a broadcast spreader, I planted some sunflowers, sorghum, oats, and barley. Hopefully something in the mix pans out for us. It's not a very big plot...but with the tools available, that's what I was able to do.

I also broadcast some millet seed on the mud flats and wet areas around the pond edge. I let the water down another 4" Sunday morning so I can hopefully seed some more millet tonight when I take the little man fishing (with more mud exposed). The button bush plants are doing well around the pond and around the blind.

The near end of the plot in the pictures is pretty wet - I put mostly barley/oats and millet there. The millet should be fine, and it will be a test for the barley/oats. We had lots of sun and wind Sunday during the day, so it should dry out pretty well. Not sure what it will be like after another rain.

You may want to consider planting giant smart weed instead of millet or at least planting it in an area about 3 feet from the bank of the pond or wet area you are planting. Once you re-flood it, both doves and ducks will uses it.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I got some more millet seed broadcast with the pond another 4" lower. The shallow side exposes some nice mud flats when the water level drops. I snapped a few pics of the button bush as well.

Lucas had a good time fishing and trying out some new lures that a buddy gave him to try. I am not a fisherman by any stretch of the imagination....can anyone identify this fish as a bluegill, or is it a hybrid of some sort? No one ever put fish in the pond to our knowledge, so we assume some waterfowl brought in eggs on their feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may want to consider planting giant smart weed instead of millet or at least planting it in an area about 3 feet from the bank of the pond or wet area you are planting. Once you re-flood it, both doves and ducks will uses it.
We have had some smart weed around the pond in the past, but not as much anymore. It would be a nice addition for sure. I will have to look around to see if I can find some seed. We have some growing around our food plots at the cabin....maybe I can go old school and gather some seed that way to plant at the pond.

The Japanese millet has done pretty well for us, as a planted complement to the "native" brown top millet that is growing there. The seed heads have a lot more seed as compared to the brown top.

Hopefully we get some rain this week so the plot can take off. It looked pretty dry last night. If it works out, should be a nice smorgasbord for the birds to hit. Time will tell.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We have had some smart weed around the pond in the past, but not as much anymore. It would be a nice addition for sure. I will have to look around to see if I can find some seed. We have some growing around our food plots at the cabin....maybe I can go old school and gather some seed that way to plant at the pond.

The Japanese millet has done pretty well for us, as a planted complement to the "native" brown top millet that is growing there. The seed heads have a lot more seed as compared to the brown top.

Hopefully we get some rain this week so the plot can take off. It looked pretty dry last night. If it works out, should be a nice smorgasbord for the birds to hit. Time will tell.
Try here, they have pretty much all you need. https://www.kestersnursery.com/Wetland Plant's.htm

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn’t it considered baiting if you hunt waterfowl within a certain distance of a manipulated dove field? Or do you remove everything 30 days prior to your first waterfowl hunt?
I'm sure that could put you in hot water pretty quickly....but we will not be manipulating the plot. We will let it stand into the winter.....not sure how well it hold up to the snow and ice.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I slipped out to the duck pond on Saturday...the plot is growing, albeit pretty slowly.

The mud flats appear to be growing the millet fairly well....the mud flats in the foreground did not take too well, not sure why.

I included a close up shot of some volunteer browntop millet....that pic has some smartweed plants in the background.

I put a plug back in the dam to bring up the water 4", but I discovered our outlet pipe has sprung a few leaks on top of the pipe....allowing water to escape the pond without having to go through our dam wall. We are currently looking at potential fixes for that issue....

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts