The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to my local mom and pop firearm store and he had exactly six boxes of 12 gauge target loads in size 8 suitable for dove or targets. I kid you not I just spent $16 on a box of 12 gauge target loads that should be no more than $7. And he is limiting to only two boxes per customer. Gone are the days where you can get a case of 12 gauge loads and spend a weekend getting skills back shooting at clays.
Come Labor Day the doves will be educated by my lack of shooting skills for the first few days. I cannot believe the limited availability and high price of shotgun shells.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Surprised? Dude, where you been the last year or so 'cause this is how its been. Buy it whenever you can.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can tell you where I haven't been - I haven't been to the gun store looking to buy 12 gauge target loads. I know all about the difficulty in getting pistol ammo and rifle ammo. I just did not expect huge demand on 12 gauge target loads.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Target loads for doves? Are you shooting birds at 40+ yards?

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I use reloads in a 20 ga for the little I go out for doves. If I was buying, it would be the cheapo game loads; 8 shot

·
Registered
25,708 Posts
Well I can tell you where I haven't been - I haven't been to the gun store looking to buy 12 gauge target loads. I know all about the difficulty in getting pistol ammo and rifle ammo. I just did not expect huge demand on 12 gauge target loads.
thats because of all those "peaceful" demonstrations. people have been buying guns and ammo by the millions. why dove loads ? because inside the home they act like rifle slugs for self defense purposes. IMHO anyway

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
People are buying up shells that typically sell for a few dollars and sit on the shelves for months even if they don't need or use them making the problem worse. .

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Target loads for doves? Are you shooting birds at 40+ yards?
I'm a little confused by your comment. As far as I can see my 12 gauge target loads fly slower then the the higher speed official dove load marketed for hunters. I shoot 12 gauge load 2 3/4, 1 and 1/8 oz, shot size 8.The box indicates it is for clay target shooting. I've been using target loads my whole life for Dove hunting because of the low recoil and low price and they do just fine.

·
Registered
943 Posts
the federal 12 ga dove-target marked shells i just bought at walmart are listed as 1-1/8 # 8 shot at 1200 fps as are the same loaded with #7.5 shot.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
the federal 12 ga dove-target marked shells i just bought at walmart are listed as 1-1/8 # 8 shot at 1200 fps as are the same loaded with #7.5 shot.

The best deal out there right now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You missed it. Late winter/early spring this year, you could not find 12 ga target loads for love or money. There were none to be had.
Some of the online retailers were selling them for $49.99 the box. Not the flat of 10 boxes. No - $50 bucks for a box of 25. 2 bucks a bang. (There were people paying that, too. "Idiots", I've heard them called.)
It's actually gotten a bit better since then. But, if you want the prices to fall back [somewhat - they'll never go all the way back] don't buy the shells at $8-9 the box. Wait on Wally World and get the 4 pack, formerly $21.45, now more like $24.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
I just visited a gun shop where I buy my shotgun reloading supplies. They had powder and wads but no shot. Then I noticed a sign advertising shot at $50 a bag. I had been paying $36 a bag from the same place.

I asked about the new price and they told me they cannot get shot and that they cannot get shotgun target loads. This place supplies a lot of shotgunners in SE PA and the news surprised me. I have no idea what is going on but it happened recently.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
25,708 Posts
i think we have a new "BIG BANG" coming and this time it wont have anything to do with asteroids.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Grand American trap shoot ends this week, the Olympics are over, summer in general is coming to an end. You will start seeing some target loads and game/dove loads again, maybe not in the usual numbers though. I was in 2 different Walmart stores today that had shotgun ammo available, about 25-30 boxes total.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Low brass shotgun shells are about $10/box at my local hardware in Newburg. He has plenty. I have been seeing more ammo everywhere the last few weeks. Let's hope the big crisis is over for now!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts