The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teamed up with one of my best friends this morning for a quick 5B hunt. As I'm typing this, I'm in a car riding to Myrtle Beach to play golf for a week. We only has til about 9 am to hunt, but we left with plenty of time to spare. After putting them to bed last night, we knew right where to be this morning. We had some jakes gobbling on the roost at about 520, and by 545 there were birds flying down into our decoys. The 5th bird to hit the ground was a nice long beard, and my best friend rolled him at 20 yards. His feet hadn't been on the ground for 30 seconds. The remaining jakes immediately pummeled him, as well as one of jake decoys, and one jake even spent about 2 minutes doing the dirty on top of that flattened jake. Fortunately I caught it all on film. We ran his bird back out to his truck, and hit the woods again by 7. Upon approaching a huge cut cornfield, I caught the top of a tail fan. By 8 am, that bird was dead on the ground after a 40 yard shot. Turkey thug #5s put them both down hard. His bird was 20lbs with a 10" beard and 1" spurs. Mine was a monster 25# bird, with an 11" paintbrush, and 1 3/16" spurs. Awesome opening day and my first double to date, along with that being my best bird. There will be more pictures to come, and the video when I get back from my golf trip!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
NICE!!!! Way to lay the smack down on them.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Congrats to you both

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I also forgot to mention that we got stalked twice this morning by other hunters. The first time was a guy creeping on our decoys. We had out a full strutter. He tried to sneak in on us from behind in the woods right at first light before the actual birds flew down. The second guy tried to stalk us after my buddy shot at 545, and the jakes were gobbling and pummeling the decoys. Also snuck in from behind us clearly stalking turkey sounds. Unbelievable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts