The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some nice mounts being posted, I'm thinking about either doing a Mckenzie 6900 semi sneak or Ohio Taxidermy Supply 600 series semi sneak. This buck had a huge neck and head and need to talk to my taxidermist first to see what he thinks. If anyone has some semi sneaks post them up, always looking for some different mounts

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Not city and not really big woods like central Pa, and not agriculture land. Lots of thick overgrown old farms, thick old logged out places and the great deer habitat of 2A
Probably not Bavington/Burgettstown Game Lands. Those use to be great, but aren`t very good anymore. I still hunt a ton of it and barely see a tail anymore. I think they bail to the private lands around it once archery starts.

·
Administrator
24,158 Posts
Nice deer. I never took notice if I ever got one with a double patch. Best I can say it was the first I ever seen. Waugh!
Same with me. Now I'll be checking mounts and digging through old photos! So much for going to bed....

Heck of a deer PA Bone, congrats!!

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Some nice mounts being posted, I'm thinking about either doing a Mckenzie 6900 semi sneak or Ohio Taxidermy Supply 600 series semi sneak. This buck had a huge neck and head and need to talk to my taxidermist first to see what he thinks. If anyone has some semi sneaks post them up, always looking for some different mounts
Here’s a snippet of what I posted back in 2015 when Randy Kuntz did my deer.
Ben Mears semi sneak. The McKenzie was too muscley looking for me. He did have to fill the form out a bit due to the rut neck. Pictures seem to slim him down a bit but it is a fat neck. There are ripples in the neck but not overly done.

Font Terrestrial plant Number Circle Electric blue

Elk Human body Deer Jaw Fawn

Head Elk Deer Art Fawn

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Probably not Bavington/Burgettstown Game Lands. Those use to be great, but aren`t very good anymore. I still hunt a ton of it and barely see a tail anymore. I think they bail to the private lands around it once archery starts.
I don’t see many deer. I read posts on here and know people that hunt places like 1A, 1B and some mountain units and they talk about seeing 30 40 50 deer in fields. If I see 5 does that’s a lot and usually see more bucks than does. I haven’t bought a doe tag in years. There’s enough people that shoot anything brown and predators I’m not needed to control the populations. When I start seeing an abundance of does in my hunting areas I’ll do my part, but not yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m no expert but my dad killed a buck with a double throat patch, off the same property the same year I killed a buck with a faint 2nd patch. A couple years later on the same property I seen another buck with a double throat patch, the taxidermist claimed deer get them with age but I would lean towards genetics just because two of the buck were not old deer.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I have two on McKenzie Semi Sneak "Offset" 3000 Series forms.

R Turn ears down.
Head Deer Organism Elk Natural material

R Turn ears forward.
Head Deer Elk Natural material Wood

I really don't have a favorite form and have ceased with all future whitetail taxidermy. I've done euros the last 3 seasons. I would probably put that big boy on a pedestal, though.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Here's a Pa buck mount done on a Mckenzie 6900. That's not the original cape and the buck had a black face. The taxidermist I used at that time did not tan his own hides and sent them out. He shipped several hides including mine and a guy's elk hide in a cooler and either UPS or Fed-EX lost it. By the time it was found the hides were no good. Took me years to find a cape and finally my buddy shot a nice buck and did a skull mount and I got his cape. It made a nice mount, but not the black faced buck I shot. The 6900 does have a muscular neck and want to put this year's buck next to this one, so not sure I want a 6900 next to another.

Tree Sky Twig Wood Deer

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I don’t see many deer. I read posts on here and know people that hunt places like 1A, 1B and some mountain units and they talk about seeing 30 40 50 deer in fields. If I see 5 does that’s a lot and usually see more bucks than does. I haven’t bought a doe tag in years. There’s enough people that shoot anything brown and predators I’m not needed to control the populations. When I start seeing an abundance of does in my hunting areas I’ll do my part, but not yet.
Ya. I may stop getting a 2A tag. It`s very lean on the game lands and no private to hunt there. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I remember seeing pictures of your new man cave but can’t remember all the mounts. Have you tried any of the “wall pedestal” mounts? The last 3 bucks I’ve had mounted, I went with the wall pedestal.
I have two wall pedestals and like them, but probably not going with another one for now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts