The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New crossbow from Excalibur. Looks like twice as much to go wrong to me.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
New crossbow from Excalibur. Looks like twice as much to go wrong to me.

Like a double barrel shotgun. Quick second shot for when you spine one. I wonder if you can shoot both at the same time.

Side question, what's the name for the crossbow shop in PA that you guys used to direct people to on here?

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
I supported crossbow inclusion for the most part but was afraid it was gonna start getting out of hand.It looks like we're starting to arrive at that.450 fps crossbows,rangefinder scopes and now double barreled crossbows.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't looked at the regs yet to see if there is anything that would make this illegal here in Pa?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I haven't looked at the regs yet to see if there is anything that would make this illegal here in Pa?
....if not.... it will take YEARS to be included LOL..campaigning...protests...PGC call ins....HPA forum fights

on a more serious note..I believe to PA code mentions something about multiple(shooting*) arrows.

Nevermind...It was another state I hunt.

·
Registered
870 Posts
But what if it gets seniors and youth more opportunities. Surely that can't be bad?
You can't be serious!!!!!, lets have chain fire crossbows as well, load a magazine of bolts and fire away. The giving seniors and juniors more opportunities is about as weak an excuse as they come. After looking at the regulation and the law's definitions of bow and cross bow they both say fires an arrow. An is singular in meaning, neither say arrows which could mean more than one if you wanted to stretch a meaning.. That thing will never get the green light for hunting from the BOC, it ranks right up there with the atlatl .

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The PGC may need to issue a directive on this. The language does say fire an arrow. This bow has two triggers so only one arrow is fired with each trigger pull. The language might need to be amended to exclude a crossbow that can have two arrows loaded simultaneously if they want this bow to be illegal.

It is an interesting discussion. I would like to see the Bureau of LE to comment on it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The PGC may need to issue a directive on this. The language does say fire an arrow. This bow has two triggers so only one arrow is fired with each trigger pull. The language might need to be amended to exclude a crossbow that can have two arrows loaded simultaneously if they want this bow to be illegal.

It is an interesting discussion. I would like to see the Bureau of LE to comment on it.
So would I. There is a good chance they do not even know about the thing yet. I think I will email the Bureau of LE, aka wildlife protection for an opinion.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So would I. There is a good chance they do not even know about the thing yet. I think I will email the Bureau of LE, aka wildlife protection for an opinion.
I was fixin to do the same thing. Let us know the response.

·
Registered
870 Posts

OK I sent an email to the Bureau asking for an opinion. I suspect they don't know about it. I had a hard time googling it. I will report when I hear anything.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I was fixin to do the same thing. Let us know the response.
This is what I got from the PGC I missed the 2308 section, been too long since I had to know it,

Lawful device. Under 2308 it would be unlawful if it had one string and shot multiple bolts at the same time. But since this crossbow has two strings it’s lawful and meets the definitions found in 102 and 131.2

§ 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule.--
Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol, except as set forth in subsection (b.1).

(3) (Reserved).

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.

(5) (Deleted by amendment).

(6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any of the following:

(i) A motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.

(ii) A motorized wheelchair if the person has been issued a permit to hunt under section 2923(a.1) (relating to disabled person permits).

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

(9) Any setgun, net, bird lime, deer lick, pit or pit fall, turkey blind except as permitted under subsection (b)(3) or turkey pen or any explosive, poison or chemical of any kind.

(9.1) Any device which permits the release of two or more arrows simultaneously on a single full draw of a bow.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hammer...what do you have against a toll that would/could grow our ranks?
Anyone who thinks this device which is out of the price range of most hunters, especially Jr's and Sr's will increase participation really isn't thinking, they are just grasping at straws.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not grasping at straws Hammer. Just playing the card that you crossbow guys played in order to get your weapon of choice into archery season. C'mon man, surely you guys could support other potential fellow hunters?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts