The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the season is over for most of the state,get ready for next year.Weather is great for shooting.
Try different lubes,ball sizes,flints,patch thickness,powder size,etc.
Going for the TIGHTEST groups now will be rewarding next year in less misses and miss fires.
Don't put them away yet.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Never missed this year--I hit plenty of trees to make for better shooting lanes next year!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I plan to shoot mine alot... stocked up on PA conicals, several pounds of powder, got some flints, I'm ready to rock.

I am, however, re-finishing my stock, again!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I had one misfire this year.I shot several different sessions at the range and did a walking BP course and the flinter worked beautifully.I unload and cleaned the gun daily again flawless.I have learned that a good flint,a good quality frizzen and the correct amount of 4 in the pan can make a huge difference.I have a 1:64 bbl and it will only shoot the roundballs accurately,that suits me just fine.I like to shoot mine year round,but I must admit it is not quite as fun when the weather turns hot.Something about the mixture of a flinter and some fresh snow...

BTW,does anyone know of a stockmaker?I found a pretty serious crack in the stock of the flinter I took in trade

·
Premium Member
24,010 Posts
Good advice there 410-er specially for newcomers!!!!

Most of us serious smokers keep the habit pretty much throughout the year!

·
Registered
615 Posts
come on down to 2b the seasons still in till the 23 of jan. you can still shoot bucks! seen 2 today still had horns!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
10der222 said:
I had one misfire this year.I shot several different sessions at the range and did a walking BP course and the flinter worked beautifully.I unload and cleaned the gun daily again flawless.I have learned that a good flint,a good quality frizzen and the correct amount of 4 in the pan can make a huge difference.I have a 1:64 bbl and it will only shoot the roundballs accurately,that suits me just fine.I like to shoot mine year round,but I must admit it is not quite as fun when the weather turns hot.Something about the mixture of a flinter and some fresh snow...

BTW,does anyone know of a stockmaker?I found a pretty serious crack in the stock of the flinter I took in trade
Dunlap woods or Tigerhut --if you can do your own.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't plan on doing very much shootin until I get my new one in a few months. But I have a feeling I will take the Lyman out a few times just to smell the smoke

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have 25 pounds of 3F to get rid of!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
mountainman09 said:
Bunky you can donate some to me lol
Hey if you are ever down this way and you make it to oneof the DPB BP shoots remind me to bring you a pound of 3F.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
10dr222, depending on the crack, you may be better off fixing it with a thin epoxy cement. I have had very good luck fixing even some original stocks Even patching in and matching missing pieces. Once got a trapdoor with a huge chunk missing. After some searching I found a piece of black walnut of nearly the same grain and shade. I epoxied the piece and shaped it being careful in how it was shaped. Once finished it was nearly impossible to even see the repair. I donated a piece to a museum, made about 1810, but missing most of the forestock. They found someone who matched the tiger strip maple and pieced in the missing two feet of the forestock, made new thimbles to match the existing one, etc. Stand four feet away, and it is impossible to tell that it was such a wreck at one time.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
mines getting "put away" the day 2B season runs out...

gotta get that lock sent to TC...and i wanna refinish the stock for the 19th or so time...and want to inlet the lock a bit...i noticed that my pan isnt flush with the barrel and the top of the lock sticks out some...nothing major..just bugs me now that i noticed it lol...though inletting will be on hold till i get the lock back...

also want to add a peep i think...if i dont wear my contacts, and i often dont, it takes an extra second to focus everything...even with FO's...(no i am not breaking the law...not required to wear corrective lenses...not even for driving..my correction is ever so slight..when i go for a physical and they do an eye test they look at me funny when i take the test without my lenses lol)

i forgot 2B was in longer and already gave my bore a nice coat of bore butter....thats ok...when i go back out my ball will load real easy!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Errrt! (sceeching brake sound) I didn't see that. Is there anywhere in those still open units to hunt? Man would that jerk my wive's chain. One last road trip 09 10 for old soupey.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Nuge, when you redid your stock on the deerstalker was the recoil pad just glued on or is there a hidden screw somewhere? I have to inlet the lock alittle more to close up a crack between the pan an barrel and thought about reworking the stock also. Or did you tape around the pad and just be careful in that area?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Spring BP shoot Zimms farm---a woods walk--I like it!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am down with a spring shoot. I crossing my fingers that I will have my new flinter by then

1 - 20 of 37 Posts