The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of pickin rocks, spreading lime, buying a used corn planter, a few bags of fertilizer, nitrogen and expensive roundup ready corn and hours on the tractor we finally got a decent acre of corn growing.
You can see it in the bottom of the pics below.

The bears and coon were starting to enjoy it

Then came the rains last week. 7" in an hour.
Anyone want to buy some creek rocks??

Also lost about 30 crabapple, pear, chestnut and oak trees.
On the plus side a few of the trees did make it

If we find guy that did the rain dance we are going to have to sacrifice him to the rain gods.

We will be planting again in the spring, but maybe on higher ground

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some trees are buried, others are gone. I would assume they are buried in some of the logjams along the creek. Spent an hour looking for my game camera i had in the corn, but no sign of it.
Maybe i should call FEMA and ask for assistance.

· Registered
5,623 Posts
In a big flood, the floodplain becomes the streambed.

It's probably best to have vegetation with really good root systems, and a lot of "roughness" to provide friction to slow the water down as it roars across the floodplain.

Maybe just let it grow back in thick brush, then keep it early successional by brush hogging it once every few years?

But letting full sized trees grow along the stream to provide shade?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.