The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was tinkering with my muzzy last night, and there was a Stinkbug crawling along the barrel. I keep some of my guns in a safe, and some, in the open. Well, the gun/bug combo reminded me of last season.

At the end of the pase Flint season, my pal went to discharge his flinter. Of course, pan ignition, no barrel ignition. Well, after mutliple failures, he says, I'm almost sure I powdered the barrel. Well, he's 63, and has slipped up in the past, so I had my doubts. He pulled the touchole liner, and proceeded to work a pick in the hole.... NO POWDER coming out, but SOMETHING was. After picking and prying for an eternity, pieces of insect started to be pulled through. A wing, an abdomen, etc... Well, the smell left no doubt what was in there, STINKBUG, and not just one. We pulled the ball, and behind the charge, must have been 5 or more bugs. Apparently they found it to be a nice home over winter. He didn't scrape the barrel obviously with a patch worm or puller prior to loading, as I suspect most of us don't ?

Well, a word to the wise I guess. If you live in Stinkbug land, either obstruct the barrel for storage, by cork, or saran wrap rubber banded, etc... And if not, at least scrape the barrel breech before loading.

By the way, he does have his ramrod marked for 80 gr of powder and ball, and it did show a charge was in it and a bit heavy at that. He even thought he hadn't properly seated the ball.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thats something to think about! We got a lot of them in Allegheny Co.,but I haven't been seeing many in my house this year.
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts