The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the dirt bank in front of my garage as my decock target. The arrow {bolt} has a field point and I've been using a stick from a maple sapling as the target. This morning I shot from about 27 yds. When I walked up I didn't see the fletching protruding from the dirt. What I did see was a broken shaft. The rest of the arrow was off to the left about 2 feet. It looks like it glanced off the tree and broke. @#%$%^^&*((^%@#$^%^%!!
First picture is where it was, second is a comparison with the "stick." These crossbows are accurate! I will use a different target tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Or maybe an actual target? Bolts might last longer and you won't have nearly as much risk of having a damaged bolt fail at the shot and cause possible damage to your xbow AND you.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mightyjoeyoung said:
Or maybe an actual target? Bolts might last longer and you won't have nearly as much risk of having a damaged bolt fail at the shot and cause possible damage to your xbow AND you.
You're right. I have a target in my basement, but only have 34 feet. I guess I'm going to have to drag it outside everyday I hunt.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a rag bag from compound use but the back of it allows the rags to push through. It wasn't a that much of a problem, but the crossbow seems to have more energy with 145 grain broadheads. I need a new outside rap. I have several feed bags I can use. Thanks WCH

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You aren't shooting braodheads into a bag target are you? Surest way to ruin a broadhead. Keep a field pointed bolt in your vehicle along with a cheap bag target. No need to practice in the field if you're doing it at home. That said I usually do try to shoot to about 20 once I'm back to my truck if light and time allows.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You are using a tree and or a rock bed for a target what did you think was going to happen to the bolt?

·
Registered
384 Posts
RacksnQuacks said:
I am with some of the others. We keep a cheaper target in the back of the truck. Pull it out and unload before we leave.

We carry a homemade cardboard block..... cheap but works great

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do what is not recommended. Put the cocking rope back on hold it and pull the trigger. Absolutely easy and never had a problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts