The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got through a very trying week.

Last Tuesday night was practicing when a nock came apart upon release which basically dry fired my 2004 Bowtech Independence. Was afraid to look and sure enough the module was bent. Called my dealer (2 miles from home) who said they no longer carry Bowtech and I will need to go elsewhere.

Located another dealer (25 miles) and discussion with Bowtech commenced. They said not under warranty as it was a misfire and considered abuse. I understand that.

The part that I am so miffed about is they then went on to say "We no longer carry that module. You can however upgrade to binary cam." I don't understand how they can no longer carry parts for that bow - five years old? Also if I wanted a binary I would have bought a Hoyt in the first place.

I shot Mathews and Bowtech and wanted to buy the Mathews Ovation. The dealer talked me out of it.

So my warning to you all is if you buy Bowtech beware - if you have an issue within 5 years you may not be able to get parts!

If anyone has the module for the Independence 30" draw (FR3) let me know via PM so I can fix the bow back to how it was. Otherwise I will get it converted to binary and most likely sell it. Thanks for listening.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Thank you for the heads up.

I think fellow we should all tell others when something like this happens to keep others from making the same mistake. Maybe if this happened more, companies would do more to stand behind the product. The only drawback is that some people can never be satisfied. Sounds like you are not one of those.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Not trying to be smart, but before you made this post, did you do your due diligence and check with Bowtech as to whether the parts are available?

You did walk into an archery shop days before the season begins with a damaged bow! The shop owner does not want to take the time of contacting Bowtech, ordering the modules, and then installing them, when he can simply sell you what he has, make his money, and get you going! I am surprised he did not try and sell you a new bow!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reply is direct from Bowtech, Nick Droback Customer Service Manager - not the shop owner. I sent Bowtech a note via their website.

The shop owner is trying to locate the module for me.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Beck trt,I believe the comlpaint was with bowtech not the dealer.
But, don't you think that a shop owner should try to be helpful-especially if it is the place that sold him the bow. I personally would find another shop if the owner tried to talk me out of fixxing abow so that he could sale me a new one. There is local shop that has a reputation for doing just that. He sales you a bow that is the greatest in the world one year, and when you take it back to be worked on in a year or two, it's a bow that no respectable hunter would even try to take a deer with.

I believe the comlpaint was with bowtech not the dealer.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Get ahold of Lancaster Archery Supply. They have that sort of stuff laying around. Probably have that module or something close. If they dont, they can find one. You can find their contact info on lancasterarchery.com

·
Registered
652 Posts
I did the same thing with my Mathews and they replaced the blown cam at no charge. but the bow was farely new, not 5 years old. May have been a different story.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
One thing I have learned here is that in most cases where someone starts a post with" not trying to be smart" the post is going to be something that offers nothing positive to the post and usually is in fact someone just "being smart"

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I had a problem with mine that was about 5 years old and they did not ask a word. I have never had an issue with Bowtech customer service.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Like someone said above go to archerytalk and someone there will hook ya up. Someone somewhere has to have one laying around.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
10der222 said:
One thing I have learned here is that in most cases where someone starts a post with" not trying to be smart" the post is going to be something that offers nothing positive to the post and usually is in fact someone just "being smart"
Well, you know what they say about opinions...

The original post did not say that he had direct contact with Bowtech! The way it reads, the shop owner told him the parts were no longer available. The original post also does not state that the bow was purchased from the shop that carries Bowtech. It was purchased from a shop that no longer deals with Bowtech.

I have delt with too many bow shops. The moment you walk in with a problem and they know you did/do not buy from them, they are not going to give you the service you would typically expect! That is why I asked if there had been direct contact with Bowtech! I don't listen to much of what the shops tell me, as they are in the business of making money and are going to push what they have in stock!

·
Registered
802 Posts
check on archery talk, i have bought bowtech mods. on there before. can't remember the name. but he had lots of different mods. make sure your cams amd axles aren't bent as well. and check the limbs for cracks and/or splinters.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm not sure what your complaint is....other than your having trouble finding parts for your bow? I agree 5 years old isn't that old, but I'm sure you can find parts if you look around. IMHO, the shop is who you should be upset with...they don't sound like they are too worried about you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What mod do you need? I had a similar experience looking for a mod for an 05 Justice, after going round and round Doug agreed to sell me a mod (they wanted me to go through a dealer but none of the local dealers had one) the same day bowtech agreed to sell me the mod I found one on archery talk and bought it. I have a couple mods for the freedom cam (which is what I believe you have on the liberty) I was going to keep them to make my justice easier to sell should I decide to get rid of it, but if you can't find one and I have what you need, I'd be glad to help you out.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
The only issue with AT is that as soon as "Bowtech" is mentioned, you'll get 10 pages of "this is why you should have bought a Hoyt", "Bowtech [censored]," and so on. If you shoot a Bowtech, AT is one of the LEAST friendly places on the web for you to visit. Someone may be able to help you out, but you'll endure 30 posts of abuse in the process.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Appreciate all the assistance and advice. Here is the update as of today.

Got a call from the bowshop where I took it for repair. He was unable to locate the Independence FR3 cam. He said he also spoke to Bowtech and they will take the bow, replace the limbs, modules, cables and string (basically only the riser from the original will remain) for me at cost. So I will have a "new" bow when done. I agreed since I really felt there were no other options as the Independence FR3 cam which I need was a unique cam only made for the Independence 30" draw length - no other Bowtech model uses it (or so they say) which appears to be attributing to being hard to find. Also as one other poster mentioned there could also be issues with the limbs, axles, etc. so why take a chance with more unseen issues.

My plan is that once I have the bow back it will go on craigslist for sale - not sure what the model will be called as it really won't be an Independence any longer though. I am thinking I should be able to recover the cost of the repair plus a little more which I can then put toward a new bow - which won't be Bowtech.

Note to beck_trt - Personally I did not take your response as "being smart." In writing the orignal post I said "discussion with Bowtech commenced" was intended as "directly with Bowtech" even though it doesn't say that literally. I had dropped the bow off 8:00pm and the dealer said he would call Bowtech in the morning to see what could be done. Rather than wait I went to Bowtech that night myself. The only problem I have with the dealer is I found out from Bowtech sooner than he did that the module was no longer available. Anyway - no offense taken on my part.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Newport, good to hear that you are getting the problem resolved. I made a call to bowtech rep, who I know personally, and he is checking as I type this on finding a module. What you were told is correct. The Independence was only produced for one season and was the only bow produced with that mod. It stinks that you happen to have one of the only bows produced for 1 year. Otherwise, the parts would not be so hard to find.

I will let you know, what I find out. However, getting the bow overhauled at cost, is probably your safest option.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts