The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trapline companion thread brought up some inconclusive thoughts I have had in the past. I don't personally have any expirience with a dog on the trapline but have a few imaginary scenarios that I wonder the outcome.

#1. A small breed of dog has not had any past expirience with other dogs and is walking down the street. It comes to a fire hydrant where an enormous German shepherd has marked it's territory. Having had no expirience in the past with other dogs, can this small dog realize that this was in fact a larger, more threatening dog? Surely if this dog had had past expiriences with say a German shepherd it would be able to recall this experience. Can a dog identify the size, stature, and threat level by another's scent markings without having a past expirience? My thought would be no as in that the only way it could identify this was through an education of past expirience.
#2. Similar situation but now a tiny little dog has been out in the woods and finds an outstanding bush and marks it's territory. Now a fox comes by and smells the post, I would assume that fox has no idea if that dog is a large threatening beast or if it is a tiny little teacup dog unless it had been educated in the past by some sort of confrontation.

In application to the companion thread, could a large dog'a scent shy away a fox at a set or in the area in the similar way that coyote urine can have a negative impact at a fox set?
Didn't want to veer the companion thread off the original question and do not mean to take away from it.

Agree or disagree? Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
As long as he/she put it's nose on it, it should not matter.

The intrest in the other canine is strong. Fox, Yote, dog large or small.

I don't think it matters, they all want to get a good wiff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
An experience I've had comes to mind.

My 15-20 lb dog takes a leak in our yard just before dark and with 2-3" of fresh snow on the ground. Next morning a set of fox tracks came out of the woods into our yard, comes right up to where my dog went and urinated on top of it, then traveled directly back into the woods. Later on, I take my dog outside, he smells the air and goes right back to the new scent post and urinates on top of it.

Once while going out to check traps, we stopped to pick up a buddy. He overslept and didn't come with so we decided to have some fun at his expense. We sprayed a few places in his yard with coyote urine. A few days later he said his small lap dog was having a fit lately when it's outside. It is lifting its leg on every bush in the yard. We got a good laugh.

I've caught fox in traps using only coyote pee, and coyotes using only fox pee. I agree with Kip, it seems to me that urine is a scent they need to investigate regardless of what made it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.