1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
28,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Well known and verified statistics, but cat lovers still insist there is no down side to their Trap/Neuter/Release scams, that continue to stymie practical efforts to control feral cat numbers nation wide.

No police force will intercede if you're over run with feral cats. Shoot one and they'll be happy to show up and arrest you on the spot.

A neighbor always let her cat outside to prowl about, killing baby bunnies and song birds at will. Only stopped when the cat got run over on the road. Cat she has now, stays in the house. I once saved her cat when a fox chased it out of the woods and up thru her back yard. Regretted that almost immediately, when I distracted Brer Fox long enough for the cat to get up a tree in the yard.

:crying:

·
Super Moderator
5,021 Posts
I’m a cat guy, we have 4 of them. They’ve never been outside since they were rounded up as kittens. I had them declawed and neutered when I got them. This crew would be terrified if they were to set foot in the yard. There’s a big tom cat that has hung around outside my place for three plus years. I don’t know if he belongs to the neighbors, we don’t feed him but he looks well fed. He sits on my wood pile and suns himself, hunts mice around my fur shed, garages and honey house. I haven’t caught any mice in my traps since he showed up. When I leave the doors open on the outbuildings and he always goes in to look around.

Cats are amazing predators....I’ve seen one of ours stake out a spot in the basement for a day and a half waiting out a mouse. When I was a kid, we had a cat that was inside/outside, it would catch half grown groundhogs and drag them onto the front porch.

I’ve seen feral cats miles from homes, even saw a couple way out Sproul SF. Those cats don’t get a get out of jail free card when I’m trapping.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Eight or ten years ago, the PGC/BOC advertised in their upcoming meeting agenda, that they were considering efforts to deal with feral cat predation on birds and small mammals.

Dozens of T/N/R "cat ladies" showed up to protest that decision. There were articles in newspapers about it, so the word was out and many of those T/N/R ladies vehemently testified against PGC doing anything to endanger "their" cats.

The Commissioners were kinda stunned by the turnout and tabled the idea, but the "cat ladies" gathered outside plotting their next move, until someone who shall remain nameless, went out and told them they'd won, so they could leave.

0:)

Woodsy will remember this, as he and I watched as several of the cat ladies pounced on another woman in the lobby, thinking she must be an ally? She wasn't. She is a wildlife rehab person, that has no love for feral cats and said so when approached. Couple of the cat gals got a tad wobbly, when she mentioned something about wanting to shoot every feral cat she could find.

:smile2:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Eight or ten years ago, the PGC/BOC advertised in their upcoming meeting agenda, that they were considering efforts to deal with feral cat predation on birds and small mammals.

Dozens of T/N/R "cat ladies" showed up to protest that decision. There were articles in newspapers about it, so the word was out and many of those T/N/R ladies vehemently testified against PGC doing anything to endanger "their" cats.

The Commissioners were kinda stunned by the turnout and tabled the idea, but the "cat ladies" gathered outside plotting their next move, until someone who shall remain nameless, went out and told them they'd won, so they could leave.

0:)

Woodsy will remember this, as he and I watched as several of the cat ladies pounced on another woman in the lobby, thinking she must be an ally? She wasn't. She is a wildlife rehab person, that has no love for feral cats and said so when approached. Couple of the cat gals got a tad wobbly, when she mentioned something about wanting to shoot every feral cat she could find.

:smile2:
Yep, I remember that, they picked the wrong lady to mess with.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If PETA or the T/N/R crazies knew how many cats we have killed on the mountain or out in the desert they would burn crosses in our front field.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Many years ago we had a problem idiot in our developement who was harboring feral cats, he would feed them daily and they would all gather on his front stoop every morning to be fed. The group of cats kept growing as they continued to breed until there were close to thirty of them. I got tired of seeing them watching my bird feeder and crapping in my wife's flower beds and my garden to I and another neighbor took action. We set live traps in our yards and we trapped 28 feral cats. We took them for a ride to a nearby woods and that is where I assure you they stayed, they we came home and reset the traps until there were no more cats.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Many years ago we had a problem idiot in our developement who was harboring feral cats, he would feed them daily and they would all gather on his front stoop every morning to be fed. The group of cats kept growing as they continued to breed until there were close to thirty of them. I got tired of seeing them watching my bird feeder and crapping in my wife's flower beds and my garden to I and another neighbor took action. We set live traps in our yards and we trapped 28 feral cats. We took them for a ride to a nearby woods and that is where I assure you they stayed, they we came home and reset the traps until there were no more cats.
WHAT??? A PGC officer breaking the law? It' s illegal to release a cat into the wild. Surely you didn't do bodily harm to it, did you? :grin2:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm just curious. Did you use litmus paper to determine they were feral and that you had not trapped little Suzie's pet Fluffy from down the street, before you took them for a ride to Never Never Land?

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I've only killed one cat and Ill never kill another one as long as I live. I was driving down a road near the Pa Grand Canyon and this cat ran out in front of me. I hit it killing it. There was farm house there, and I went to the door to tell them I killed their cat. A girl came to the door and I explained what happened. I added that I would like to replace it. She asked if I was good at catching mice? I said yes. I've been catching mice for her for 43 years.

·
Administrator
28,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've only killed one cat and Ill never kill another one as long as I live. I was driving down a road near the Pa Grand Canyon and this cat ran out in front of me. I hit it killing it. There was farm house there, and I went to the door to tell them I killed their cat. A girl came to the door and I explained what happened. I added that I would like to replace it. She asked if I was good at catching mice? I said yes. I've been catching mice for her for 43 years.
Wow, that's what I call bad luck, that's six times worse than breaking a mirror!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I've had cats for almost 48 years now. My current buddy brings home the occasional chipmunk or mouse. Once in a while I'll find bird feathers in the yard. No big deal to me. He is "fixed" and causes no problems, unlike the dogs in the neighborhood whose owners let them bark at 6 in the morning.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts