The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer to take your outfitted hunts solo? Or do you like going with another? Seems like it's difficult to make plans, and everyone agree with everything. Lately i prefer to take my hunting trips solo. Seems i'm not getting any younger, just tired of waiting for guys to make up their mind and commit to a trip.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
About 3/4th of the trips that I've gone on have been solo. It's nice to have a buddy, but I do not like larger groups at all. The bigger the group you have, the more likely you are to have problems. I have never had an issue with going alone, and in fact it kinda enhances the adventure aspect of things.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I've done the vast majority of my outfitted hunts alone, but in the past ten years I've done quite a few with a small group of companions. I'm getting to the age where I'm getting reluctant to travel alone. This season I have three hunts booked, two I'll be alone, one I'll have traveling companions.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I used to do the group thing with friends and I guess when I was younger I had more patience in getting things organized. Now I pretty much go it alone as if I had waited on buddies to make decisions or waited on them to raise funds then I would have missed out on allot of hunting over the years. I am doing a hunt this October with my 2 best friends and it has been exacerbating at times. 2+ years in the planning and even now can't make decisions over travel. So much easier to just deal with yourself.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The few I have gone on I went with a small group of close friends. I prefer this as I get sick of talking to myself. I'm just not very good company.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
I flew to Utah 6 times to hunt, always with a group of 4. We went moose hunting 10 times, usually with a group of 4. When flying, it’s always good to travel with others...you can drop of gear curbside at airport with a buddy, you can have someone get the rental while another babysits bags etc. You also have more eyes on the road when traveling, and you can split expenses.

But the main reason is it’s a lot more fun sharing the trip with friends or family. I’d never go on a trip without companions. Wouldn’t be the same without having others along. That’s why I liked the 2x1 moose hunts...I got to see 19 moose shot over the years.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Honestly, I'd rather go by myself. The only down side being I don't enjoy long drives half-way across the country alone, especially as I get older.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I went to Colorado on an elk hunt last fall and went with a buddy, which for that kinda terrain, I consider necessary so that someone knows where I am if I don't come back at night.

He is in air force and stationed in Kansas, so I drove from PA to Kansas (and back at the end) solo, and that wasn't the most fun I've ever had. But....the trip was worth it by far, so I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

That wasn't an outfitted hunt, though.

I haven't done an outfitted hunt solo, although I would. Just depends on if it's something I want to do and don't have buddies who want to go, too.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
went on a moose hunt last fall with my friend and we had a great time. he can't go this year, but I have been giving some thought on going myself. its an outfitted hunt and I would be in camp with whoever there was room with at the time. I need to decide fairly soon.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I totally get the point of being tired of waiting and the difficulties of planning with others. However, last year we did our first guided trip (dad, brother and myself) We had been talking about it for years and either the money didnt work out for one of us or timing was against us. We said enough is enough and just did the plunge. With the 3 of us there together it was an amazing time. We got to share an amazing experience with others that we enjoyed. Is a group required...no but me personally is part of the experience and sharing that time with someone else you care about...family or friends is a bonus

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If I have a long drive since I prefer to drive straight through only stopping for fuel and food I like at least one other person. Two others is my maximum, I don't like taking a mob. I don't mind hunting alone at all but the long drives alone can be boring and sometimes dangerous if you get tired and push it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I really never had any problems doing hunts with others when I was much younger.
Probably because I was the youngest of the group so I just went along.
Of the trips I do now it's been pretty much the same group and we have one person who makes the plans and it works pretty well.
One chef in the kitchen is always best...
Always nicer to share trips with others, makes better memories.
I hunt alone enough around here because that's how I like it during archery season.

Best thing with getting older is that now my kids are old enough to take their old man on trips and nothing better than going on a hunt or fishing trip with your kids.
I still pay the tab but they do most of the work...

·
Registered
431 Posts
My problem is finding someone to do hunts with. For three consecutive years, I started making plans with a buddy who I thought was serious about doing a DIY in another state and three years straight he bailed when it was time to get serious and make plans. I've half-joked about starting a hunting buddy site like FarmersOnly.com. :)

I am taking my dad on a hunt this year to pay him back for everything he's done for me over the years. He's 66, so wanted to do it while we could both enjoy it even though he's much more into the camaraderie of camp now vs. balls-out hunting.

After that, who knows? I really want the challenge of an out-of-state DIY hunt, but would prefer someone to do it with so you can talk strategy, bounce ideas around, etc.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Hard to beat having company on an outfitted hunt. Key is to know the other person as well as your wife before deciding who will join you. If that's not possible....most likely solo is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
went on a moose hunt last fall with my friend and we had a great time. he can't go this year, but I have been giving some thought on going myself. its an outfitted hunt and I would be in camp with whoever there was room with at the time. I need to decide fairly soon.
So what did you decide to do BP?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
So what did you decide to do BP?

actually I hadn't given it much thought until about a week ago. I have been so wrapped up in the new rifle and getting everything for it just right, I hadn't thought about it. I have checked, and getting a hunt in Newfoundland on short notice doesn't seem to be a problem, there are several outfitters with openings. so, with that said the answer is probably not, but you never know:smile_big:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have taken several trips by myself because I had no one to go with. Took one to Mt and one to Wy with my son. But now his kids are growing and require alot of his time. So I’ve gone to Wy x3 Mt once and 4 hunts to Ohio alone..Enjoyed going with my son but don’t mind going by myself. It’s nice to meet new people from all over the country. Still keep in touch with a couple of guys I met in Wy. The guys that I h7nt with in Pa don’t like to pay others or will only archery hunt. By myself I do what I want when I want but do miss the company while on the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts