The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever hunted SOLO with an outfitter and traveled to get there??

Looks like no one else is up for it...does it take the joy out of it? I'm not normally the loner type. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I have...it was ok but it is much more enjoyable with a hunting partner.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I too would rather go with a group. There is something to be said for sitting around camp in the evening with friends to hear the stories, have some refreshments and just poke fun at each other.

But, I have done solo trips and have had a great time on them. There are years that just don't work out for friends and I'd rather go alone than stay home - we aren't getting any younger!

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I've done perhaps 1/2 of my trips solo....You always meet nice folks on these trips and you get to run things the way you want to .....Very relaxing that way!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
A great many times, not a problem for me.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Most of my trips are solo. Everyone wants to go till its time to pony up some $ then they cant go. So I rely on myself and thats it, If someone comes with its a bonus. Last year I traveled 5 times, 4 were alone.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I hunt mostly alone and Pa and I have hunted alone on a number of outfitted hunts.... I acutally prefere it.

on one hunt in BC Canada. I flew to chicago transfered to Calgery stayed in a hotel for the night. Jumped a Greyhound to Banf and transfered to Golden BC. Stayed in cellar of outfitter and hunted alone...one of the best hunts I have been on.

timber

·
Registered
372 Posts
berksbowman said:
Most of my trips are solo. Everyone wants to go till its time to pony up some $ then they cant go. So I rely on myself and thats it, If someone comes with its a bonus. Last year I traveled 5 times, 4 were alone.
EXACTLY how I am and how I feel. 90% of my guided hunts are solo...but if anyone wants a partner for a trip theyre going on just ask me....if I cant go(money, time off) I'll tell you right up front. In fact its how I meet new hunters all the time and most of the time guys I meet on trips I wind up hunting with again cause I know theyre serious about going when they say they will

Sab

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have gone on several western hunts. All except one were by myself. I agree with berksbowman. All of my buddies are really good guys but when it comes to actually saving for a hunting trip out west they always back out or have some problem and can't go. This has happened to me since I was 30 yrs old. I am 55 now. The same buddies STILL haven't been out west to hunt.
A few years ago I took my son with me for a mule deer hunt and we had a great time. He really isn't much of a hunter though and wouldn't part with his own money to go hunting.
I am a friendly and outgoing person but not a loudmouth or anything like that. I enjoy a group and always enjoy listening to stories and sharing experiences with others. It's more fun to laugh and have poor hunting than to be alone and have fantastic hunting. That's just my own opinion. I am looking to hunt elk, caribou or moose in 2010 or 2011. If anyone is looking for a partner or a person to round out a hunting party I am your man. Please PM me.
I suggest a meeting to get to know each other before any commitments are made. This ought to be before the Harrisburg sports show.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have done a couple alone but most have been with a friend or two. Years ago I had a group of guys, sometimes as many as 8 or 10 that wanted to go and would go. Making arrangements for everyone and everyone leaving it up to me to chase deposits and all wasn't worth the aggravation. Now it is down to basically 2 others but like others have said it is usually all in until money is due then it is all out which is when I go it alone. Usually most guys you find in camp are pretty good and you can have a pretty enjoyable week as you have the hunting in common. In the past I have not gone on hunts as I didn't want to go it alone and friends backed out - as said I'm not getting any younger so won't pass anymore - I will go alone.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you are a friendly outgoing person its not a problem going solo , I have met some real good hunters and nice guys over the years . I also find it less of a hassle traveling by myself , picking an Outfitter for someone else can also give you heartaches if the game are not there at that particular time . I have been Guided by the Owner of the Outfit most times when I hunted solo . That's My story
Tom

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Well your question certainly asks more questions than just hunting. It seems to me.

I hunt solo. Over time, it involved a lot of situations. Moving away from hometown hunting buddies; moving to metro areas; hunter retirement(age); scheduling differences. Soon after marriage, the wife worked a night schedule. It meant my deer hunting trip started at 8 A.M. No hunting buddies on those trips.

Some can hunt alone; some cannot and enjoy it. Some can become expert enough to hunt alone.

I remember scouting new areas that required a little hiking. Couldn't get any buddy to hunt this new found area. I was trained to use a compass, and I would have had to give up some great public hunting areas, for their area that might have been overhunted.

In many ways, sometimes you don't have any choice to solo hunt. Or give up hunting completely.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Say Deer Hunter, where are you headed and what for by the way?? Details here may draw out a travel/hunting partner.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
I've done many outfitted hunts solo and, like others have said, actually preferred it that way for much of my life, for the reasons already stated. Plus I've always been pretty much a loner.

Having said that, the past few years I've hooked up with some fellows from HPA for some hunts and have really enjoyed the companionship. Worked out real good this year as I got sick at the end of a hunt and would not have made it home safely without someone else to drive. Thanks again, George!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I may have to go solo. The guys I hunt with in PA have all taken their western trips. I couldn't go at the time due to job, now that I'm retired and can go I'm finding it hard to accumalate the money. (but I started) may have to sell some toys to make it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts