The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had acupuncture performed on your dog? And if yes, what were the results. My 8 yr old GSP has had some recent issues where his rear, left side tightens up for a few seconds, then everything is back to normal. Only happens with intense exercise and it sounds painful based on his reaction. First time was in Nov, then about once a month since. We have had hip and spinal xrays and everything is clean. Vet indicates it could be a slipped disc. Aside from the normal meds, and rest, she offered acupuncture. This is new for me. Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Try a chiropractor!! I've had a couple of mine done and the first time they found a misaligned vertebrate in his neck. Got it straigtened out and gave some exercises to strenthen the muscles around it. He has much better for years. Took another to her and she found some slightly torn muscles in his shoulder. Xrays did not show anything and she again put him on an exercise program and he was fine after recovery too!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I am going to agree with Carl. I have had a few that as they aged, had minor issues and keeping them in good shape all year round was the best medicine that I had found. Like people, I think that as they age, they have more issues if left to do nothing. I am not recommending going overboard but if you can keep them in good overall shape year round, you may see some benefit. Glucosimine and condroiton (sp) is also something that you can buy and give that may help with joint issues as the dog ages.

Never have done the acupuncture and not saying that it doesn't work. Just saying that I have no experience with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts