The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walker....

That was my son asking the dogproofs question. He started trapping last year. He absolutely loves it. I hadn't trapped for over 20 years but have really enjoyed getting back into it. Great way to spend time together. I see you're from central PA - must be near us?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I paint all of my dogproofs white. Just seems to bring them in a bit better if they aren't right on location. One or two catches with them and they will be shined up like a new penny, so I end up repainting several times in a season. I just power wash them and hit them with semi-gloss white spray paint.

As for staking I use a single 18" rebar stake and have never had a problem, but I make sure not to set where the coon can climb a tree or other object and pull straight up.

I make my own bait. I use the cheapest jack mackeral I can find, and add the cheapest fish flavored dry cat food i can find. Mix that up with a shot of fish oil. I put a spoonful under the trigger, then impale a large marshmallow on the trigger, and put a blob of the fish bait on top of the marshmallow.

If you are setting in an area with feral cats, I use strictly marshmallows and raspberry jam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.