The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Just wondering my Dogproofs got a little rusty do you think being silver helps the coon to come in? how do you keep them silver and how do you set them up? ... Bait ... Stakeing... Scent?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't think a coon Really cares what the dp looks like. If there is something inside that he smells and wants to eat he's going to get it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walker....

That was my son asking the dogproofs question. He started trapping last year. He absolutely loves it. I hadn't trapped for over 20 years but have really enjoyed getting back into it. Great way to spend time together. I see you're from central PA - must be near us?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I paint all of my dogproofs white. Just seems to bring them in a bit better if they aren't right on location. One or two catches with them and they will be shined up like a new penny, so I end up repainting several times in a season. I just power wash them and hit them with semi-gloss white spray paint.

As for staking I use a single 18" rebar stake and have never had a problem, but I make sure not to set where the coon can climb a tree or other object and pull straight up.

I make my own bait. I use the cheapest jack mackeral I can find, and add the cheapest fish flavored dry cat food i can find. Mix that up with a shot of fish oil. I put a spoonful under the trigger, then impale a large marshmallow on the trigger, and put a blob of the fish bait on top of the marshmallow.

If you are setting in an area with feral cats, I use strictly marshmallows and raspberry jam.

·
Registered
749 Posts
keating_mtn said:
Walker....

That was my son asking the dogproofs question. He started trapping last year. He absolutely loves it. I hadn't trapped for over 20 years but have really enjoyed getting back into it. Great way to spend time together. I see you're from central PA - must be near us?
yup from jamescreek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts