The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You may only shoot them in season and in counties where there is a season. In addition to having to obey the seasons, you have to obey the bag limit even though you bought them. You may shoot them on a regulated hunting grounds that have quail on their permit in any county during the regulated hunting ground season. You may shoot chukars all year long.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
i'm going to call the PGC anyway because "I heard it on the interwebs " is a poor excuse..
but ill ask anyway.

I have a few different questions.
I know quail and pheasants cannot be shot out of season.
but can you release them on public lands(SGL/st parks) for training without shooting them for dog training purposes?

and basically the same question but with chuckers ..
can you release chuckers on public land and shoot them out of season? again for dog training.

I've actually read title 34&58 several times but am still unsure

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Ruffbritt3,
John S and parry are correct in their advise, also
there is one other bird we use to use for training that you must be careful of now, Huns were put on the no shoot list a while back, you can only use them with a special permit or regulated shooting grounds license. These birds are in the Grouse family and they are great to train with if you are raising Grouse dogs. There are different club training licenses also available, talk to the PGC for the latest laws governing them. I miss using the Huns, use to have them wild in my forest for training purposes, and they also seemed to draw other Ruffed Grouse to the area, a way cool spooky training bird. Wish I could release them and use them for training my dogs again.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i think chukars are the training bird of choice for a couple reasons. 1. As has already been stated, they are not considered a game bird here in Pa and thus you can shoot them whenever it's legal to train. 2. I've never liked pen raised quail as a training bird. Many of them are poor fliers, encouraging a young dog to try to catch them, which unfortunately is too easy to do. Flight trained adult chukars get up and out of there, especially from a launcher.
Little chance of a young dog getting a mouthful.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Ruffedbritt3,
If you choose to use Chukar for training birds, we recommend to our clients that they purchase full grown fliers, not immature young birds. Wingshot is correct using the remote control launchers is a good trainig tool, a small piece of old garden hose tied to their foot gives the birds freedom to fly when spooked, but only far enough to be repointed.
All kinds of tricks can be used with them to help with your gun dog training.
Have fun with your training.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would think some of the heavier lead teardrop fishing weights would work the same. I'm actually heading out this morning to play with three pups today and we are getting a 6 pack of chukar for them and may just give that idea a try.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well we tried the string and teardrop sinkers. Originally we tried tying one to each leg. This didn't work well at all. It actually would tangle and basically tie up the birds legs. So we ended up using a pair on one string tied to one leg. This was the best option and the birds could still run and fly but their flight was limited to about 40 feet before they would land however they could still run. It was an exciting day to say the least!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Transplant,
Ya go to love puppy time, enjoy it while you can, it
flies by so fast. Two of my Grouse dogs are way up in age now and I still remember the times in the forest with them when they were real young, make sure you take lots of pictures of your pups, later on you will be glad you took them.
Pine Creek/Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.