The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not good at designing things, but can build them once the design is there. I have a Kubota RTV900 side by side. My bassett hound is 10 now and it's becoming a little bit of a chore for her to jump out of the bed. I'd like to make some kind of a light-weight ramp for her to load and unload. Biggest issue is that I can't carry whatever I make in the bed with her. She won't ride with anything else in the bed, so it would have to be something I could carry elsewhere on the machine, foldable if possible, and light to handle. Anyone with design skills have any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would mainly depend on how it would mount. She freaks out if anything is in or on the bed. She even gets uneasy if I tow my lawn trailer. My main interest is what to make it out of. Needs to be light, but sturdy

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
i'm thinking hang it off j hooks on the side flush with the top of the bed
as far as materials, it depends on what your equipped to work with.
aluminum is best choice.
what you got to figure out is how long it needs to be

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to figure that out today. My early thinking tells me I might have to make it a folding ramp to achieve the length and still be compact enough to mount somehow on the machine.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
When my lab was 14-15 yrs old he couldn't jump in the backseat of the truck any more. I made a light 1/4" thick plywood ramp 12" wide with 1x2 side'rails" to stiffen the length of the ramp and cross pieces evry 8-10" for traction. Sort of looked like a chicken ladder for hen house or for roofing work. I think it was about 4-5' long. This dog had an aversion to stairs, would not go up or down more than 2-3 steps. I literally had to push him up the ramp. Could be the angle was too steep for his hindquarter strength. No trouble coming down the ramp

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only material I had on hand was peg board ( masonite). I determined the ramp has to be 6' but made with two 3' sections hinged in the middle, and 15" to 18" wide. I made a unit with the peg board and it came out pretty good. BUT when I put a little weight on the ramp, the brittle peg board broke at the hinges. I'd try 3/4" plywood, but that would make it too heavy in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
1/4" thick plywood is light and if you stiffin it with the 1x2 along the long edges with the cross pieces it will hold 75# no problem. the 1x2 is where you want to screw the hinges to because its thicker. You can buy 1/2 or 1/4 sheets at home depot and they will cut it for you

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
ive been trying to design one for my jeep...still trying to design..if it folds in the jeep, the dogs are there already..maybe a folding ramp connected to the trailer hitch? seems simple then the logistics and dog preferences screw it all up

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
the reason I brought up aluminum is its lighter more compact and stronger then wood.
with the right circular saw blade you can cut light aluminum plate like it was plywood.
stiffen it up using some aluminum 3/4 channel or square tube.
a drill and some machine screws will hold it all together
and I bit of rubber tread will provide traction

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the idea to look for either an aluminum or plastic kid's sliding board from a discarded play set. My neighbor's one is just the right length, but of course I couldn't use it or his kids would choke me

·
Registered
241 Posts
How about an old extension ladder? If it has to be 6 ft...cut it in half and add hinges in the middle. Screw 1/4 ply with tread to the rungs. Mount it on the roof or across the back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts