The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Sorry for your sorrow. Toby was a fighter...he had 3 cancer surgeries after being diagnosed with lymphoma at only 2 years old. You would never know the way he played and ran around between bouts. This time was different as he lost a couple pounds and would not eat. We could see it in his eyes it was time. He was only 5.5. He was a joy and I've been crying all day. His empty bed and toy box are here near my recliner...can't put them away just yet.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
I always disliked dogs. Never wanted one. 13 yrs ago, a black shepherd pup showed up in our sheep pasture. I grabbed the rifle and almost shot him, but realized at the last that he was running from the sheep. He was starved, had numerous cuts and wounds and weighed about 35 pounds. He became my best buddy and went everywhere on the farm with me. rode on the back hoe when we plowed snow, etc. Slept on the floor next to my bed. We went every Sunday morning for the news paper and I got him two hot dogs at the convenience store where I got the paper. He got up to 107 pounds and 18 months ago started slowing down. despite daily meds he got really stiff and had trouble going down stairs or climbing into the pick up,, I was beginning to dread that the final visit to the vet was fast approaching. Fate stepped in. My canine friend unexpectedly passed away ten days ago while I was at work. Got a lead on a litter of lab-schnauzer cross pups yesterday. I figure the best way to repay Duke for his devotion is to share my life with another dog.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've been a member of this site for over 5 years now , have never been able to read this thread , I knew how hard it would be.
But now , unfortunately , the time has come , tomorrow at 9 am , we will help our black lab Bear cross that rainbow bridge. We rescued Bear and his brother Poochie from a shelter as pups 13 years ago as a birthday present for myself.
I do find comfort in knowing we gave Bear a wonderful life ,along with his brother Pooch , my Yellow Trigger and our newest GiGi Lab/Brittany mix.
This is not the first dog I have let go , and it is definitely the hardest things a pet owner has to do as an act of love .

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have a big sticker on my frig, " Old age means you'll never have all the dogs you want to". I've had some great ones. Hunting and house pooches. My wife gives more to shelters than I can some times stand but every pooch needs a chance.
My last 1 was 17 years 2 months.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
timberdoodle said:
Master, It's Time

Master, dear Master, the old dog said,
My road has come to an end.
No more can I ramble by your side
Your loved and trusted friend.

My eyes, once filled with joy of life,
Are dimmed with age and pain.
The walks we shared by field and stream
Must wait for another day.

You cared for me with all your heart,
And I gave you my all.
But now, beloved master,
Another Master calls.

I know you hate to let me go,
But my love is yours to keep.
The time has come, my dearest friend,
When I need to go to sleep.

Your kindness made my life a joy
And you love me, this I know.
Show me your love one final time
And gently let me go.

Master, my beloved friend,
As we say our last good-bye,
Know that I will be waiting
For you on the other side.

Then we will ramble the woods again,
Walk the fields when the leaves start to fall.
I'll be sitting right here by the golden gates
Waiting for your call.

Author: Jean Dokken

My best wishes for you in your very difficult decision.
Very Nice

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Hi Bucket,

I recently was in a position like yours. I had to put my GSP, Ruger down several weeks ago. Probably the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. I adopted him shortly after I graduated college. It was an odd series of events, but we kind of found each other. He was a mess when I got him. He came from a rural part of WV. He was found roaming the woods by himself. He had hook worm, whip worm, bacteria and infections in his ears and on his skin, he had 2 teeth fractured, he was seriously under weight, and he had mange pretty bad on his head and chest. He was afraid even of his own. shadow. Throughout the years I realized he was my best friend. He was a great dog in the field, but if you brought a gun along he'd just shutdown. He was frightened even of the sight of guns. So I'd sill run him, but just for fun. Plus, he loved it. We had many adventures together and been to many places together. He loved my wife, but always remained the most loyal to me.
Over the course of Rugers life he was diagnosed with lymes, he had a cancerous tumor removed (thank God it never came back), on top of all the issues he had when I first got him. He was a survivor and I always felt their was a very deep sense of gratitude from him for all the time we spent together. We comforted each other through all the highs and lows life will bring.
Ruger had abnormal liver enzyme counts for the past year. We had x-rays down which showed nothing, but two .22 sized bullets in my dog. No wonder why he was scared of guns. Would I love to find the (things I just ca't say on here) POS that did this to my dog let alone any dog. We had him put on several different drugs all of which really played havoc on his bowels. We finally had a ultra sound down and we discovered a 8cm long mass in his liver. The next several months my dog began to loose weight dramatically. Now Ruger didn't really have much weight to loose to begin with. He was very lean and a great specimen of a small frame GSP. My wife and I watched him slowly start to become weaker. He'd have good days and bad ones, but more good days. Under his situation and his age we didn't have many options We already estimated him to be roughly 14 (we don't know for certain because I adopted him).
The day before I had him put to sleep he was running laps around my pond like his typical happy self. He'd bring me his tennis balls (his favorite toy) for me to throw. Besides his weight loss you'd never think that the next day would be the day. Saturday morning I woke up early and we was waiting near the door. Odd because he'll just walk right up to the door if he want out. I walked over to the door to let him out and he just sat there motionless. I couldn't convince him to go outside for his morning potty. Now I don't mean to brag, but my dog is a one word command down. For him to just sit there and stare at me with a dazed and confused look I knew right away he wasn't himself. I walked over and picked him up carried him outside and placed him on the grass. He struggled to go #1, but then very slowly walked to the door. I began to doubt my original thoughts when he walked to the door, but after he stood there on at the door and wouldn't take the step in my thoughts where reconfirmed. He could make the 10 inch step to go inside. he'd just stare and look inside. I picked him up and placed him right inside. I then sat down on the opposite side of his bed to coax him over. He made it half way and then stopped.
I don't want to type anymore, but you can catch my drift. He let me know that that was the day. He wasn't him self and before more pain set in I wanted him to be the most comfortable he could be. For a dog like mine that has been through so much [censored] he deserved better. You'll know when it's time. It'll hit you so hard there won't be a doubt.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. It's going to be tough and it's going hurt. However, keep in your mind that you did the very best by him and for him. When that day comes you'll know and feel fortunate that you let him live every day that he deserves.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to get it out and let someone know that your not alone. You'll never be alone. I firmly believe that they are always there and always watching out for you.

Now to take care of this leak somewhere over my computer desk.

·
Super Moderator
26,456 Posts
So here is a thread I didn't think I'd have need to post in for several more years. But unfortunately, I do.

Our St Bernard, Barry, died last Monday morning, just two weeks after turning four years old. A few weeks ago he started being real lethargic, and then unable to walk or even stand. They have here in Germany animal clinics that have emergency services. It was a Sunday afternoon when he was laying in our pantry and seemed to be having trouble breathing, so I contacted the on-call emergency vet and made arrangements to take him in. They did a CT scan the following day and found what they thought were bulging discs putting pressure on his spine, and causing the partial paralysis. Surgery was scheduled for Wednesday, 9 Nov, his birthdate. Just before the scheduled time, the vet called my wife and said upon further review of the scan that he believes it's not bulging discs, rather a tumor on his spine. He did the surgery, but because of where the tumor was located he couldn't remove all of it. A few days later we brought him home, giving him intensive care and comfort. For the first few days he started showing signs of progress in getting some strength and wanting to move. One of the reasons we took him home was because he wouldn't eat anything at the clinic. Once home, he was eating as if nothing was wrong. But after about 5 days he stopped eating and drinking. We made him take water, but couldn't get him to eat. Last Sunday I was cooking some deer backstraps and sliced a few pieces for Barry. He ate them somewhat reluctantly, but I was glad to see him eat something. Later that day we rolled him outside (I made a moving dolly to get him in and out. 180 lbs of dog is hard to move when they don't help) and sat there with him a while in front of his doghouse. He drank some water and seemed to be enjoying the nice weather, grass, and sites that he was used to seeing. When I took him back in and was getting him off the dolly, I noticed his tail wagging; something not seen throughout the whole ordeal. Tried some deer meat again, but he wouldn't eat. He was more alert than he had been the past few days, which was giving us hope that he'd continue recovering. We excercised his legs, cleaned his catheter, and washed him down as we've been doing daily since coming home. We got him situated for the night and wen't to bed.
I was off from work the next day because he had a vet appointment. I was still asleep when my wife got up, but I was quickly awakened to her cries of "Barry!! NO!!!" Without even getting up yet, I knew what had happened.
Our wonderful, young St Bernard was gone.

We talked with our regular vet and from all of the symptoms and discoveries, he feels that the part of the tumor that couldn't be removed was continuing pressure on the central nervous system which was most likely affecting his breathing. We were afraid that bringing him home was the wrong thing to do, but he assured us that had we left him at the clinic he would have still died, but alone, and that the best thing we did was bring him home to give him comfort and love.
Of all the dogs I've had in my life, and all the ones I knew, Barry had the most personality and character I'd ever seen a dog exhibit. He brought our family tons of joy and was fun to be around. He will be greatly missed.

We've already put in our reservation for a St Bernard from a litter that is due in February. Not that we could ever replace Barry, but we've become very fond of the breed.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
This being my 10k post, i thought it should be about something special, and this thread is certainly a special place.

Time is growing short for our little dog, duke. We gave him a big dog name cus he thinks he is a big dog. Half jac russell half shitzu, he's been with us since early '03, and changed my mind about what a dog could mean to me. We always had outside dogs, labs mostly, a beagle, a chessie, and a couple who's family tree was unknown. Never a little dog and never an inside dog, all good boys amd girls, a couple i was pretty attached to.

My wife told me she wanted to get a little dog, a brother of one her cousin had just gotten. I wasn't real happy with the idea but it's her house too, so i agreed thinking a little house dog was a dumb idea. They're yappy and snappy and i wasn't gonna' like it.

When i came home from work, my youmgest daughter was holding this little ball of fur, and instantly i wanted to pick him up. He was calm and quiet, not what i was expecting. He looks like a shitzu, doesn't shed or smell like a dog. I started taking him with me when i could and he liked to ride in my truck with his head out the window. I couldn't wait to get home so i could play with him, and 14 years later he's still the first thing i look for when i come home. We soon became his "mommy" and "daddy", and he actually slept at the bottom of our bed. My kids couldn't believe what was happening to their dad, i was a little surprised too. We started taking him everywhere with us, he liked going places, we always take him fishing even when we go to canada.

At the time we also had a yello female lab who lived outside. After a couple years the light came on and she also got promoted to house dog and i was able to enjoy her so much more that i felt stupid for leaving her outside for so much of her life.

Duke is14 now, and really starting to show his age. It's getting to be tough for him to go up and down steps, and he's not very active anymore. He doesn't see or hear very well, and has these little spells where he'll just bark slowly into space, one little woof about every 5 seconds for a couple minutes, then he seems to come back to reality. Not sure whats going on there, mebey some kind of dementia or altzimers type thing?

Iv'e never been this attached to a dog, not sure what i'll do when he's gone. I know he's had a good life, but i'll be helpless to help him at some point and will have to simply let him go. That scares me.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
with heavy heart.tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. I am saying goodbye to my my buddy Banjo..I am doing this now because Friday will be rough..took me a week to make the appointment..he devloped an intestinal cancer..and is starting to get progressively worse..I'm gonna miss him terribly..one of the best if not the best dogs a man can have..only 9 yrs old which sucks..fast acting only 2 months since the issues..love you buddy

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
with heavy heart.tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. I am saying goodbye to my my buddy Banjo..I am doing this now because Friday will be rough..took me a week to make the appointment..he devloped an intestinal cancer..and is starting to get progressively worse..I'm gonna miss him terribly..one of the best if not the best dogs a man can have..only 9 yrs old which sucks..fast acting only 2 months since the issues..love you buddy
I'm sorry

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
It was time for us today. We had our 12 1/2 year old goldendoodle Taffy put down. She had developed an irregular heartbeat and we had her on meds for that. She has had neurological issues over the past few years, and they progressed into full blown seizures that would leave her dazed and unable to barely move for an hour and a half or so for each episode. When she started having the seizures multiple times a day, we had her to the vet and as a last resort we put her on anti-seizure meds. That didn't go well, as a side effect of the meds, she lost her sense of balance and had trouble walking without stumbling. The issues became more frequent over the past few weeks and much more frequent over the past few days. We loved this dog like life itself but we couldn't bear to watch anymore and it was evident that the meds weren't helping. Me and the Mrs. and my daughter who still lives with us mutually agreed that the only kind and humane thing to do was to make the suffering stop. We all shed a lot of tears today, and this will take us a while to get over. She was the best dog anyone could ever hope for and will be missed. We have another doodle that's about 6 months younger than Taffy and she's going to miss her buddy as well.

RIP Taffy.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 130 Posts