The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had to put my Springer Spaniel down yesterday. It was easliy one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I took him to the vet two weeks ago thinking he had some type of infection and found out he had acute leukemia and he was given one month to three months left. Dogs truly do hide the pain they are in. He was extremely loyal till the end. I was truly blessed to have such a good dog an companion. RIP Otis.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
My Ally died the week before Christmas...anyone that would of looked at her would of likely said "My god put her down" she had a full menu of ailments at 15 years old.

But i watched her close, she would still wag her tail, lay in the sun, eat...On a Sunday night she seldom got up , i spent great time with her and yes her tail thumped the wall as i talked with her and rubbed her head. the next night after a long day of work, I did the same thing, this time she did not wag her tail. The next morning she was gone, and her kennel mate of 14 years Eddy was laying right beside her. i knew she was gone the moment I sae Eddy's face. I will never forget that series of days for the rest of my life or the day I knew she was saying goodbye.

Watch the tail. i could of put her down, but if she would of wagged her tail that day i would of thought forever it was just so it was easier and more convenient for me. Every situation is different, mine ended the way i wanted.

I miss her everyday especially as spring hints back to life, she love the first warm sunny days of the year the most. No regrets on any day with her from first to last < i hope she thinks the same.

·
Registered
25,473 Posts
Put off reading this thread because I knew what effect it would have. Glad to have finally read it now. Much good advice and shared sentiments.

Took our most recent lab on his last journey the first week of January. The big, black devil would've been 12 in February. 135lbs and never was fat, just big.

The running leap into the truck seat for camp trips, began to change over two years ago and morphed into a struggle loading him in, but we did it anyway because he loved camp and I loved his company. Glad we got to share one last 17 day sojourn this past deer season, but he was fading fast even then.

Bad back legs, some other issues and slept most of the day over the past year. Eventually lost interest in all of his favorite treats over the last week, except donuts. Had to cook him up some rice and meat the last coupla days, as he wouldn't touch his food.

Tough struggle this winter for a gimpy dog with the snow and ice, but never failed to make it outdoors to do his bidness. Getting him back inside again, was often another story.

The last morning he refused to go out for her before she left for work. I finally got him out, but we had to stop every 5 feet or so when his legs went out from under him, let him rest, then put him back up again until we got back inside. Figured it was time, as he'd gotten progressivly worse those last two weeks.

Never gets any easier, but he went at the vet's with his head in my lap and my arms around his neck, telling him what a great guy he had been. Vet let us alone in there, me sobbin' like an old granny.

Better days ahead, soon time for another pup. Just wish something that gives so much love and asks so little in return, would last a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
DennyF said:
Put off reading this thread because I knew what effect it would have. Glad to have finally read it now. Much good advice and shared sentiments.

Took our most recent lab on his last journey the first week of January. The big, black devil would've been 12 in February. 135lbs and never was fat, just big.

The running leap into the truck seat for camp trips, began to change over two years ago and morphed into a struggle loading him in, but we did it anyway because he loved camp and I loved his company. Glad we got to share one last 17 day sojourn this past deer season, but he was fading fast even then.

Bad back legs, some other issues and slept most of the day over the past year. Eventually lost interest in all of his favorite treats over the last week, except donuts. Had to cook him up some rice and meat the last coupla days, as he wouldn't touch his food.

Tough struggle this winter for a gimpy dog with the snow and ice, but never failed to make it outdoors to do his bidness. Getting him back inside again, was often another story.

The last morning he refused to go out for her before she left for work. I finally got him out, but we had to stop every 5 feet or so when his legs went out from under him, let him rest, then put him back up again until we got back inside. Figured it was time, as he'd gotten progressivly worse those last two weeks.

Never gets any easier, but he went at the vet's with his head in my lap and my arms around his neck, telling him what a great guy he had been. Vet let us alone in there, me sobbin' like an old granny.

Better days ahead, soon time for another pup. Just wish something that gives so much love and asks so little in return, would last a lot longer.
Sorry for your loss!
You said it very well about them lasting longer!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just lost my best friend! I had a great dane and mastiff. they bred the two together and called them mastadanes. well I bred her 3 years ago with my brothers lab. after a 3000 dollar c section she wouldnt bother the pups so we held her down and feed each pup off of her. we kept the fattest one and named him miner. he went to work with me almost every day and was beside me whatever I did. he was the most wonderful dog I ever saw. he weighed about 145 pounds and the neighbors cats would beat him up. I live in a very small town so he was free to do whatever he wanted and hardly ever left the yard without me. well for some reason he and his brother roamed off about a mile and a half away and got hit by a car. I didn't no where he was and by the time I found out about him a very kind woman found him and couldn't see him lying next to the road so she took him home and buried him in her own yard. well thanks to facebook we found out where he was and in the rain he got dug back up and brought home to his final resting spot in the yard where he usually laid with the chewed up doll babies. its hard to dig a hole with a backhoe while trying to wipe the tears.wow hear they come again! im heartbroken and I guess only time will heal but there is no way of replacing and not even a reason to try. its a very quiet day in this house. dear god please take care of my awesome dog.he will be in my heart forever. I love you miner!!!!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is the hardest decision a pet owner can ever make. But remember it's about the dog not you. I've made this decision a few times and it's never easy.

First I want to say this is all just personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone, everyone has to make their own decisions when it comes to their pet.

I know I never wanted my dogs to lose their dignity. I figure I owed them at least that much. I've seen many friends put off the decision and really only out of their own selfishness, in my opinion. I don't mean to pick on anyone but just because a dog wags its tail does not mean it's happy. More than likely it senses your sadness and it is trying to calm your down. That is what dogs do. Just like dogs don't feel guilt, but to humans they act like they are guilty when they get in trouble in fact they are trying to send signs to you to calm down.

Think about what truly makes dogs happy, running, playing, romping, eating treats, doing tricks or other work for you. When they can no longer do those things it's time. Don't put it off because you can't do it, do it for your friend they don't want to live like that.

If they need help going to the bathroom in my mind their dignity is lost.

We should be as kind to our human loved ones, but it's against the law.

Again just my own personal thoughts on the matter.

God bless anyone that is in the midst of such a decision right now I feel for you.

·
Administrator
27,910 Posts
I spotted this on the net this morning and thought it should be added to this thread about our best friends:

"<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Everything good a man can be, a dog already is</span></span>."

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
We just put down Jackie last week ... she was a month short of 12. She was a Newfoundland Shepard mix and you couldn't ask for a sweeter dog. At 120 pounds you'd think she would be fearless but was afraid of everything, but if someone came into the house and she'd bark they'd crap themselves.

Her hips were shot and the muscles in her legs were atrophied. She could barely walk and I had to help her in and out with a towel slung under her belly. Last winter was tough enough, but it was time and no way for her to live.

We did the right thing, and miss her dearly.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
our Black lab Simba at the age of 12. and after 7 years I still miss him. I thought it a little strange to miss a dog like that, but not after reading some of these posts. Thanks for sharing guys.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Once in a while when I come home I almost expect my lab to be at the door waggin his tail. Its been a few years now. I really miss him when we go upland bird hunting. Hard beating the brush yourself and no warning when the grouse take off.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Yeah we recently got 2 new additions to the family to replace our lost friends. We got Izzy, a Nefoundland/Golden Retriever who will be 2 in July weighing in a 90 lbs LOL, and Peka, a German Shepard/American Bulldog mix who just turned 4 months and is a little spitfire. Couldn't go too long without furry freinds.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts

We just Returned from the Vet and had to put our Lil Man Toby down. We are absolutely crushed beyond words. This dog was loved more than any dog we have ever had and he loved us back in so many ways. RIP Buddy.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
I feel all of you pain. Last Friday we had to put our 15 year old English setter Mandy down. She had so many problems and I had to relieve her. I probably kept her a little too long because I loved her so much and didn`t want to say goodbye. I am beside myself in grief and can`t stop crying. We were so close together. I can`t even think of getting another dog right now. We hunted, fished, boated and went everywhere together.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts