The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Monday, my dog won't eat her dog food. She'll eat her regular treats and tries to mooch table food, which she has always done, but won't eat her food. She is very active,her tail is erect when she walks, loves to ride in the car and my UTV, and doesn't seem to be sluggish. I'm totally at a loss as to why she all of a sudden quit eating her dog food. Anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong? I have not fed her anything that she hasn't always eaten and none of her regular stuff in any different quantity. Her "bathroom" trips outside seem normal too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't mess around with a dog not eating their meals. Once may be a fluke but multiple times in a row they go to the vet.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
No eat no poop get to a vet better safe then sorry. Hope it ends up being nothing much.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Years ago I had a Lab do that. He always ate dry food in his bowl and he stopped. I had no idea why,he would eat treats,table scraps and except for leaving food in his bowl was his old self.
I went to fill his bowl and noticed a hole in the bag we kept in a plastic trash can in the garage. It looked like someone had left the lid off the can and a mouse got into it.
I tossed out the food and got a new bag of the same thing and he was fine with it.

Like others posted if the dog has behavior changes or won't eat for several days a vet visit might be the way to go.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called the Vet. He said if she's still not eating her food by monday, to call and get her in there. No mouse, as she's an indoor dog and the food is indoors. I have zero "rodent in the house' issues. She sleeps on a loveseat. I took her bowl of food in and put it right under her nose last night, and she gobbled up every bit of it. She had better not get used to Breakfast in Bed!!! LOL

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have had dogs do this after being fed something special. They expect it at every meal. If were eating or cooking they wont eat because they think there going to get some. Usually after missing a couple of meals things go back to normal.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rarely feed her any people food, and if I do, it's very infrequent so she doesn't get to expecting it every day. This morning, she was back at her regular "mode". She ate every bit of it as usual. She may have had a bit of an upset stomach.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My one setter stopped eating in november. Took him to vet and found out he had lymes. Treated him with meds and he never rebounded. Lost him last month. Dog was 6 and always had top of the line tick meds. Better test him asap

·
Registered
219 Posts
my great dane just went through that he didn't want to eat like he normally did we were going to take his food back and get another bag but decided to try it a few more days and a few days latter he just started to eat like he always did with no problems so I can not say why he did it but it worked it self out on its on

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she just ate her supper, so she appears to be back to normal. She may have had a bit of an upset stomach.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a German Shepherd who stopped eating dog food around 2 years old. We used to change between blends of Taste of the Wild every few months, he loved all of them, but eventually he gave up eating them. We had to start pouring oil or mixing bacon and other stuff in, but even then every now and then he'd leave it for a few days. He was also having really bad shedding issues at the time, with nasty flaky / oily skin. We switched him to the raw diet, and he's never hesitated to eat since. He doesn't shed 1/100 as bad and all skin issues went away. Very rarely sees the vet anymore. I save money on raw too believe it or not, costs anywhere from 1-3 bucks a day to feed him, when he was on dry dog food we would have to buy 2 big bags every month (and taste of the wild is pricey).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I started adding warm water to my beagles dry food over a year ago and it makes a nice gravy . They gobble it down readily over the dry food. My dogs would just pick at the dry stuff. I assumed they got tired of the same food every day.. I also add a can of moist food 2 or 3 times a week during hunting season . Some dogs are different in their eating habits as they age from my experience. I occasionally feed them the soft moist dog food too. They love that stuff. Try a different mixture or brand of food possibly if the dog doesn't eat it normally. Hounds can be like kids with food ..finicky at times.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now this morning she took one or two bites and walked away from it. I'm going to call the vet on mon and make an appointment. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have had dogs do this after being fed something special. They expect it at every meal. If were eating or cooking they wont eat because they think there going to get some. Usually after missing a couple of meals things go back to normal.
Yes sir. Not saying that is the case w Ben's dog, but mine just get plain bored eating the same kibble day in and day out. As long as they are active, happy and don't seem sick, I just wait them out, sooner or later they'll eat.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She ate her morning grub a little later, then just ate her afternoon grub all down, including her milkbone treat. Unless she has a relapse, I'm feeling good about her. I am going to get some milk and add a little with her food each day. Plenty of energy. I just came in from playing chase outside with her and she plumb wore me out!!! She's 10 1/2 and has the energy of a 3 yr old

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I agree with maybe lymes. Best to get her checked. If she has it the sooner she is treated the better. It can flair up, go away a little and come back. It's not a pleasant way to die.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts