The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get e new French Brittany my issue is we have a 8 year old Cocker Springer mix and I am concerned about bringing in the new dog who is 20 month old and spayed the cocker Springer is an intact female
We went yesterday to meet the new dog with the Cocker Springer. For the most part seemed to be ok with the exception of when the new dog came close to my wife Oreo the older dog growled and lunged was getting upset. Oreo did walk past the Brittany a few times and the Brittany was not bothered at all with Oreo. Before I go and try to bring home the new dog I am looking for any advice to help make the transition easer we had another dog but lost her to cancer 2 years ago. So Oreo has lived with others before.
[<span style="font-family: 'Book Antiqua'">font:Arial Black]<span style="color: #FF9900">The other option would to hold off till I could Find a Male puppy, even though I would have to go through the puppy stage would it be better option any thoughts.</span>Thank you[/font]Jay</span>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Dog introduction Help

So did you do the meeting at the new dog's home? Try it there or on neutral turf. A lot of times, dogs will be friendlier to each other outdoors where they are not in such close quarters.

You could also try leaving a blanket/towel that the new dog has slept with around your house with Oreo so that Oreo gets used to the scent of the new dog.

Another tip is to get them out playing or "hunting" together as a way to meet, so that they learn to enjoy each other's company while meeting each other.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts