The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my beagle Millie put to sleep two years ago. So with spring here i'm thinking it would be nice to have a pup tag alone with me in the woods. Now I no you shouldn't buy a dog from a pet shop for various reasons, one being they are about 500 dollars overpriced , but I was passing one on the way to checking a dog out so I thought heck i'll see what they got. So they about 20 pups mostly girly dogs , but then I saw two black lab mixed pups but they looked 100% Lab, so i'm thinking even though this is a pet shop maybe I might get one. I ask the girl how much. 799 dollars, for mix breed, that burns me up. They probably bought them for 50 bucks apiece.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
How about contacting an organization that rescues dogs. People think they want a dog until they get one and realize there's some effort and responsibility that comes with owning a dog. Rather than put them down they turn them over to a rescue. They have specific breeds you can inquire about. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,965 Posts
I walk the woods every day with three dogs , two golden retrievers and one beagle. Morning and evening. In terms of easy care wash & wear dogs stay with the beagle...

Ran beagles from 12:30 - 3:30 and this evening I'll be out again with the goldens and beagle.

Had two labs and they loved our walks as well..Whatever you decide enjoy em...and I know they'll enjoy themselves walking with you!

·
Registered
15,046 Posts
hopefully, you'll be as lucky as i was. duke was a freebie, and as you can see he's the kind of mans man dog any outdoorsman would be happy to have. thats him in his fishing sweater in late october a couple years ago, up on the french river in ontario helping us catch some muskies. waterfowl is his favorite kind of hunting. he's half jack russell, half shitzu, 21 pounds of good looks and bad attitude.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Lab/German Shepherd mixes are really good had one that was a super, and so did my buddy.

The purebreds are usually good at 1 thing, but in many cases the mutts will hunt anything. My buddy's dog Blackie ran coons, rabbits, pheasants, and an occasional woodchuck in the day ... great dog that she was

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yellodog said:
hopefully, you'll be as lucky as i was. duke was a freebie, and as you can see he's the kind of mans man dog any outdoorsman would be happy to have. thats him in his fishing sweater in late october a couple years ago, up on the french river in ontario helping us catch some muskies. waterfowl is his favorite kind of hunting. he's half jack russell, half shitzu, 21 pounds of good looks and bad attitude.

Great Pic

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
RonM said:
You should try a miniature poodle for a pet, would make you a nice companion doggy.
atr said:
Looking for a "woodz" dog
So shave the poodle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts