The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it illegal to train a dog to help track and recover a wounded deer in PA. I was reading a hunting magazine in which a gentleman in the south had trained dogs to recover deer for gentleman during archery season, sounded like a good idea. Is this legal in Pa? I think it would certainly prove to be helpful in archery when tracking a deer? Appreciate any info, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
nope...not legal in PA...

is or WAS a proposal to allow it a few years back i believe...but never heard anything from it....

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Mauser, thought it was a neat idea but didn't want to get into any trouble. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Walking your dog in the autumn woods can be very relaxing and rewarding sometimes.when I do it,I prefer to travel as lightly as possible,no knife,no hunting gear,just myself and the dog.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Last October I took this idea to my local legislator who had supported it in the past. He was willing to get it going again, along with another local legislator.

I contacted the PGC for their thoughts. It seems a senior legislator killed the bill the last time when it went to the Senate, AFTER he had voted for it in the House!

On top of that, the PGC law enforcement branch really does not support having tracking dogs. I guess they see enforcement issues. I won't comment on that one or I'll get a premanent ban on HPA.

Suffice it to say its dead and probably will not be resurrected anytime soon.

That said, I do know of guys that have taken their dogs for walks.......

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Have never had to use it, but there is a successful program in NY. If you have a dog, need a test and a liscense. They used to really restrict the breeds allowable, but I think that has loosened up.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
NY has had it for a good number of years, but, hey, it can't work in PA. LOL

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
After helping my son recover a buck he shot in 2007 archery I can see a true need for this service. But how much use can you expect to get from your dogs. I spend a lot of time and money training my coyote hounds not to run deer then to go and teach them to find deer!! I would say that the dog must be trained for that only, so how many times would you get him out to do his job? I would be in favor of this but I feel the PGC would need to have a list of trained and licensed guides that provide the service for a fee.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
These people already exist, but don't practice in PA. But yep, it could be structured properly and used to help hunters.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
deadon4 said:
After helping my son recover a buck he shot in 2007 archery I can see a true need for this service. But how much use can you expect to get from your dogs. I spend a lot of time and money training my coyote hounds not to run deer then to go and teach them to find deer!! I would say that the dog must be trained for that only, so how many times would you get him out to do his job? I would be in favor of this but I feel the PGC would need to have a list of trained and licensed guides that provide the service for a fee.
+1

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Farflung said:
Have never had to use it, but there is a successful program in NY. If you have a dog, need a test and a liscense. They used to really restrict the breeds allowable, but I think that has loosened up.
My wife's cousin does this on Long Island. Not sure what kind of dogs she has.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
deadon4 said:
most trained dogs do not run deer...

My Lab has 4 deer under her collar she has recovered...

I had no idea those deer were in the area I was hunting Squirrels in, until she went nuts and then walked up on them....the guys who were hunting for those deer sure were happy I happened to be hunting in the area and talked to them about a dead deer laying at such and such a place...

I know a guy who lives in NY state and he has used the service of a hunter with a Tracking dog...it was a lab...and that lab hunted real good on pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese and NEVER chased deer...but put a certain collar on that lab and he knew what was wanted of him and went to work!

It is all in Training!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there any info available such as books or videos for training dogs for this purpose that you know of?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts