The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind do you use ? I used seresto, until I saw a warning that it may be responsible for the death of a few dogs ?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Got away from collars a long time ago.
Started using pills such as the Bravecto listed below.
Never had any problems, never came across any imbedded ticks but we would find one or two every now and then walking on her fur...

www.1800petmeds.com

Bravecto Chews for Dogs | Free Shipping - 1800PetMeds [Category uuid=258049c23589486bf5b648a6f4]
SAVE on Bravecto at 1-800-PetMeds, America's Largest Pet Pharmacy! Bravecto is a flavored chewable that provides protection for 12 weeks. Free shipping and backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.
www.1800petmeds.com
www.1800petmeds.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've always used Fipronil (Frontline) It's become super cheap ever since the patent ran out on it a few years ago. You will find it sold under numerous brand names but as long as the active ingredient is Fipronil I had success

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
We always used Frontline on our labs but our newer rescue dog came with a Soresto collar. We replaced it and have had him for 7 months now with no problems but I'm not going to take any chances. Thanks for posting about this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Vote for Soresto. Best Tick solution around here.

The drops would cripple my old dog for a day or 2. Bad stuff!

·
Registered
864 Posts
There are fake Seresto collars flooding the market and they look almost like the genuine ones. They should be avoided and are probably the cause of the problems. I posted some info quite awhile back on how to tell the difference.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
what kind do you use ? I used seresto, until I saw a warning that it may be responsible for the death of a few dogs ?
Really? Any of these flea & tick meds carry a risk. Millions of pets on Seresto with no ill affects, and 1700 deaths "may" be attributed to them. Moat of those animals were likely not of the hardiest breeds and likely had other health issues or compromised immune systems.

Reactions: Bull

·
Registered
591 Posts
Been using Seresto for a while now and is working great. You have to research and make sure you are buying genuine. Even the drops and other meds can be counterfeit. Wife bought some drops off of Amazon and the dog got really sick. You just have to make sure what you are buying.

Reactions: basdjs

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I put a Seresto on my beagle and fleas cleared up within a matter of days. Heck, it even killed any in the carpet I think.
Seems like a long lasting solution and I have seen no ill effects from it. I bought mine from Tractor supply. I wouldnt trust amazon or ebay for such things.
Dogs are too important to end up with cheap knockoffs that may not be what you think you bought.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have used Soresto with good results in the past. I now use Salvo collars with the same results. 2 collars in the tin both good for 6mo. each [1 year] coverage for 1/2 cost of Soresto and 4 more months of protection. I get them at Rural King.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have a 25# dog I used the small dog seresto collar for him a year ago. He did fine with that. Had to order another and the website said to get the next size up.
I get a call from my wife while at work saying our dog is under the table having tremors. (2-3 days after putting that on.) it didn’t hit me at first. She rushed him to the vet. On her way there I call her and tell her to take that collar off.
Vet checks him out says that was what it was and that if we wouldn’t have told him about the collar he would have been stumped.
Brought him home gave him a bath and he has been fine since.
not sure what I should do for fleas and ticks now.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Received an email from my vet yesterday regarding the USA Today seresto article. My vet sells the collar. As a poster above said, millions of those collars have be sold without incident. My vet would not recommend discontinued use of the collar but given the concern by some they would understand given the limited information available why some folks would discontinue use.

I read the article in USA Today and find it interesting that the people making the claim are very "green" and are prone to very negative views of chemical use for any purpose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I switched my Redbone coonhounds from Soresto collars to Simparica Trio ,it takes care of fleas , 5 kinds of ticks,Heart worms, hookworms and round worms, got them blood tested before changing to make sure no lymes or heart worms . I really like it, had suspicions about Soresto when I lost two older dogs that just got real sick for no reason. Both dogs had Soresto collars on for 5 years.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The Seresto collar has worked fine for my English Cocker but follow the advise from several above and only buy from a source that provides authentic Seresto collars. Don’t cheap-out and take a chance on getting a fake from eBay or some overseas source.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've used the Seresto collars for a couple years on my dogs and they have worked great up until this summer. 2 of my 3 dogs started getting a real bad rash and hair started falling out around their neck where the collar was. I took the collars off and the rash went away in about a week and they are back to normal now. We will be looking for something different for the future. I always bought them off Chewy so I am pretty certain they weren't counterfeit.

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
Took Daisy off Seresto twice and for the final time as she was getting lethargic, having trouble getting around and lost energy. Two months later our 10 year old Sheltie is acting like a 3 year old again....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts