The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really though we had 1 more week!!! i think i do this every year! but mannnn this is sad!! tomorrow is already wed!!! this is sad!! i always thought it was a 3 week season...but i guess it depends how Christmas falls..some years longer...some as short as this years 2 weeks...

i can hunt like 2 extra weeks in 2B with the flinter(or anything i want..)....but most our better spots are in 1A...

4 more days......4 doe tags....hmmmm
only got 4 for insurance reasons...if i fill 1 in one WMU i dont like to have to quit hunting and have to dog...i would like another deer or 2 if the opprotunity arises...but i have yet to fire a shot this season...buddies have been doin a pile of missing..and we have killed 2 bucks with rocklocks this year...so cant complain...and weather been pretty amazing considering it typically RAINS...but man, i hate to see it end......

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Im about ready for it to be over. I need sleep. I have hunted everyday but today. Seen 21 deer with one miss and 2 misfires. Had 2 doe standing infront of my car yesterday couldnt have a safe shot with my car as there background. Going to give it another go tomorrow afternoon after some time at the range. Then all day thursday and possibly friday.

Good luck to you and everyone else still giving it a go.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as much as im ready for a "break" after a long huntin season, i hate to see it go...i know in about a week or 2, i'll be sittin around bored sayin "i wish i could be huntin!"

the toughest stretch was logging over 20 GPS miles in 2.5days of bear hunting..then rolling right into 2 straight weeks of dogging EVERY day in rifle..(perks of killin a buck in archery lol.......) i gutted and drug my own buck...but have to chase, gut and drag most everyone elses too in rifle and 2 does and a buck in flintlock so far! lol..been a sitter since and probably will be the rest of the season now so cant complain...some years its me doing all the sitting...if i didnt like my crew, i wouldnt be huntin with them!...

we dont start hunting till 10 or 11am and usually quit a little before dark so our days arent terribly long...

gunna be sad to see the season end....good luck guys!! keep your powder dry and shoot straight!!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i was bummed when i seen that it ended on the 9th too....i only got out 2 times this year for bout 3/4 hours each time, a new born in august has a way to shorten any time to do much of anything, lol....but wed through saturday is all mine to hunt from his momma
she want's venison in the freezer..........bob

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I agree it should be longer.Flintlocks are a low impact weapon and the weather this season has been a challenge to say the least.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
We have 2 extra weeks here in 2B to go at it, but I agree, it should be the same for everyone and I meen 2 weeks longer for everyone

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I agree the weather has been a challenge. You can dress for cold but when the wind blows all your pan powder away before you can close the frizzen over it?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
We have so much snow up here in 1B right now the deer are yarded up in the pines, yesterday by the time I huffed and puffed through waist deep powder drifts to kick one or two up, my glasses were so fogged up when I raised the rifle I couldn't see, I will give it another go this afternoon. First year in several I saved a doe tag for this rather than fill it with my bow and we have so much snow you need a bull dozer to get to the woods, heh heh. Thats the way it goes I reckon.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
somethin gotta happen!! the deer just aint respecting my deer dog AT ALL!! buddy had a herd run circles around him and laugh today...2 days ago..i need a bigger pack of dogs..that i will hopefully have saturday..till then its just me and a buddy or 2...

still havin fun...but the deer are makin fools out of us!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I wish the PGC could simply say that its extended for 1 extra week. I think In MD so years back they extended the season due to weather and low numbers...I might be wrong but dont think so.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Darn----thanks Plank now Im in tears!!! LOL I have a three day weekend next week and it would be nice!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Just about ready to give `er up for this year! 63 3/4 year old Heart has had just about enough. Can`t climb the Hill, Snows too deep, to take a peek down in the Hollow. I figure one heart attack is enough! Got a Sister in Law in the Hospital and a Stepmom in the Rest Home. Maybe spend the rest of the Winter sewing up a new Possible Pouch...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ron pa said:
Just about ready to give `er up for this year! 63 3/4 year old Heart has had just about enough. Can`t climb the Hill, Snows too deep, to take a peek down in the Hollow. I figure one heart attack is enough! Got a Sister in Law in the Hospital and a Stepmom in the Rest Home. Maybe spend the rest of the Winter sewing up a new Possible Pouch...
A man has got to know his limitation! Clint Eastwood
There will be next year so take it easy my friend so you will be there as well.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yup, all ready looking forward to next year. Can't wait to carry my fancy flinter that is being made for ME!!! Never paid that much for a gun and probably will never do it again, but I have never been so excited for a gun. Friends are making fun of me, but I think that they are jealous.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Hope it snows so I get the day off tomorrow!! My son has had a 103 fever for 3 days and i htink it broke--just in time for his birthday tomorrow----I think Ill ask the MRS if I can go outside for a few hours and get him some venison for his 9th birthday present???

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I do have a 5C doe tag
BUT
It is open for flintlock with your reg tag,buck or doe,till Jan. 23.

See page #9 right above the yellow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts