The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always seem to be out of town the week of early muzzleloader season so I haven't hunted in about eight years. I still have some leftover Pyrodex pellets and I was wondering if they would still be good to shoot. They look good, and have been in a cool dry place for the last several years.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
all pellets go bad after a year or 2. They are in an unsealed container and that allows moisture to get to them. Loose powder is best.

You can always shoot them just to get rid of them, but i certainly would start fresh.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have had my Pyrodex pellets for over 6 years(i don't shoot pellets much because i have cap lock rifles, but now got some true inline) and they fire off just as good as when i bought them. Keep them in a water tight container and you will be fine DON'T THROW THEM AWAY. I bought a Muzzy Lock Box from Plano, and it has a water tight seal, and that is where my Goex, pellets, and Pyrodex flakes, and Triple 7. Eveything fires off just the way it should. It tells you how to store them on the package, same thing with smokeless powder, if stored properly it will last a life time. I have smokeless powder that is over 30 years old and im still reloading with it

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
richdeerht said:
dce-
In my experience, Pyrodex is more corrosive than black powder.
It has a lot of salt in its formula makeup. Very important that if you use it to clean up thoroughly. Invisible Pyrodex residue especially combined with speck of moisture will pit a barrel overnight.

Black powder residue/fouling can get interesting once moisture is introduced. Times when I'm using the same gun everyday and the weather isn't moisture rich, I don't go nuts cleaning it. I just leave it dry ..no wet patch down the bore after unloading. It holds just fine day to day. If I'm going to take break from hunting for day, then I clean it up good.

To stay on the OP topic. Exposure to air (oxygen) will break down any powder. Add exposure to humidity and weeeooo. If kept in a proper air tight container in a cool place, it should last.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I use 2 in my 50 cal inline. No [censored]. It hits them like a hammer. They are easy to use. I have over a dozen kills with them. Never had a single issue. I bought a box of them and have lasted years.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The ease of using them is great. Thats just my opinion. I used to use 3 pellets but found 2 does the trick and more accurate for me. All my shots under 100 yards. Not sure how longer shots would do. I hunt thuck woods so a far shot doesnt present itself.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I know my encore groups open up a little on year old loose 777 powder. And I sold a bud a cva with the old pyrodex pellets I had. Don't know exactly how old they were (6-7 yrs maybe?) but they definitely were duds last year for him. Missed two deer before he got a new pack and was right back in action. I won't use powder more than 2 years old for hunting. Just bought a new jug today.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Back to your question, If kept in sealed container they should be fine. A friend had some solvent leak in his box and his pellets absorbed the moisture through the off season and they went bad. Keep em dry and you shouldnt have a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts